Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new anchor rod this year my old one is lookin beat up :) What's a good rod to get 11'-12' range that can sling a heavy king anchor for a reasonable price?

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
334 Posts
Depends on what your looking for. Last year i used a spinning rod most of the time as my anchor rod and that would throw an anchor. I had a Penn 8500SS on a Quamtum blue runner rod 10' says 1-5 but itll lob a horse. I think most of my anchors are 8oz and it had never faild. The reel is a bit on the expensive side but and larger sized spinning reel should work.I've got mine packed with some 30 lbs test just incase I snag another anchor or something. I picked the rod up brand new from Dicks for 50 bucks. Now on the other side theres conventionals. For throwin an anchor If its like 6 to 8 ozs prolly an ambassaduer 7000 The heaviest Tica you can find should do it and that isnt that expensive of a setup.Theres alot of other ways to go but those 2 would be setups that I would use seenin as i dont have much $$$.But I dont have much experience on this Ive only been seriously Pin rigging for about a year. Im sure bonito well chime in tellin you that a squidder on a solaris is the best thing since sliced bread and will throw a mile.:p

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I use the Breakaway 11'9" for my anchor rod(525MAG). The rod will flat out cast a good long distance. I do use 6 oz Anchor's which hold just fine since it is the claw that holds.
I'm sure the Tica's would work just fine and you probably would get better distance with the 6 than a 8 oz.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I use a 12'silstar and a Tica SH8000 spinning reel, i can throw this setup 330' (measured with wheel and off the ground cast) with 20, a little less probably with the 30 i use as my anchor line. I got both off ebay for less than $50

·
Registered
194 Posts
Gotcha6/0

Hey Slick:

As long as I can throw my squidder farther than you im fine.. Besides your heavin with an Okuma 302L keep dreaming.. I thought you had a SLOSH 30..Dont Talk if you Cant Walk Patty...

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I use a 15' Silstar rod with a monster spinning reel, spooled with 300 yds of 17#. I can cast a 5 oz Lee King Anchor(tm) about 100-115 yds. I just got a new Diawa Grand Wave conventional reel and I'm looking for a rod, but I might use this for bottom rigs and keep the Silstar as my anchor because that extra 2-3 feet lets me slide the connector out farther. Got the Silstar rod on eBay for $40 and the reel from Wal-Mart for $25.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the great info :D

Think i'll have to go checkout a silstar and see how it feels. Headed towards raeford tomorrow will have to stop by the tackel shop on 211 and see what he's got in there ;)

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
334 Posts
bonito

you wanna take me up in a castin comp.??? ive been tryin to get you down here for a while and whats up??? you wanna go lil man??:p :D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i chose the silstar over a more expensive rod because the butt is huge, its really tough and cheap, and i've seen people break anchor rods trying to pull them out, so i wanted something cheaper and tough enough to handle it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, i've seen a few snap this year. My first time out this year it took me an hour to get my anchor line in, when i finally got it all up I had 4 other anchors that were broken off stuck to it. :D A lady at the end told me some guy hooked his anchor into a big dead shark and drug it in 300 yards. :p

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
558 Posts
sharkbite

The Pinacle Absolute....it is 11-6" is what I use and have zero problems with it for throwing achors off the pier. It will throw up to 10 oz (9 is what is listed on it) but I know of some drummers you have thrown 10 n bait just fine.

You might be able if your interested in finding one used for a good $.

I read on the net the other day of someone wanting to sell theirs I think it was spinning for $70.

It weighs more than other heavers but for sitting on the rail or strapped up in a piece of pipe it is great.

RT

·
Registered
194 Posts
You live 7 minutes away Gotcha6/0... You could rode down here.. Are you gonna be home this weekend??? And this "lil man" stuff... look junior have you even paced out how far you actually cast?? 185 is a good chuck....

Fred

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
too bad pacing isn't very accurate. my dad is a land surveyor and i work with him during the summer and holidays. we pace stuff off all the time, and we're generally lucky if we're within 10-20 ft. sooo, if you don't even do it all the time like we do, your pacing isn't accurate. get a tape or better yet, a measuring wheel.

·
Registered
334 Posts
bonito and drum runner

I say we get drum runner down here and head up to the school and cast on the football field up at my house that way we know who casts farther.

D

·
0 Posts
well im pretty sure i dont have the casting equipment to beat what yall have but it will still be fun watching you two!

·
Registered
194 Posts
HA HA HA

The school??? Where are we going to cast?? I need more then 100yrds..way more... But we can find somethin that'll work.. I'll give you a call tommorow morning..

Fred

1 - 17 of 17 Posts