Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to make a call to set up bait for this Saturday P&S Striper thing. I need to call on Tuesday to have the best stuff waiting for Friday evening.
So, here's the question; Mullet or Bunker and how much do ya'll want. I am planning on 20lbs. of each. If you want anymore please let me know ASAP.
PS this bait is for everyone.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
PSS, if you want to fish eels, you are on your own. I don't mess wid'em.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Wilber, The eels we were using this weekend at Nags Head had forked tongues and fangs. Got a few left, an willing to donate em to ya. :D LOL

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
I am now gonna nomminate Wilbur as P&S angler of the month for helping orchestrate this P&S get 2gether @ KittyHawk!

Do I hear a 2nd?

Well I hope I snag into 1 of them behemouths during my NC expidition.

You are the man Wilbur!
I know your generosity and hospitality is more than I can ever imagine to offer.
THanxs!

Food,beverages,bait...I may never leave KittyHawk!

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Now that I've got wind of this thing, I may just to have to ride some coat tails and re-learn the catchin' thing again ... regardless I have 1/2 dozen mullet and few eels all soaking in a menhaden soup bucket for ya should ya need it :D

... but I don't know if OBX can handle me two weekends in a row or vice versa :barf:

better catchin',

`bucket

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
'bucket,

May need to transport them stinkin eels in a seperate vehicle!LOL.:D Hopefully we get an off shore breeze.Pee Yooh!

I hope you come along,may have to part take in some adult beverages....

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
angler of the month!!

next angler of the month is WILBER!!!

nserch, i'm third in this motion...

is it to late to join you good fishing people at the OBX? I have never been down there. If i can find someone who cat ride me me down there... i will be leaving from richmond, at any kind of directions would be very helpful..

thanks...
crawfish

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We would love to have you man. To get there just go through Hampton Roads like you are headed to Nags Head. When you get on the outer banks you are in Kitty Hawk. Get on the beach road and ride South until you see the Black Pelican restaurant, just South of the restaurant is a walk-over parking lot, 6:00am on the 13th, this coming Saturday. See you there.

PS All people fishing "old" eels must stand at least 200yds. away from the rest of us, Just Kidding Bucket. Come on Let's do this thing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
if it's not too late to join, i may come too, it sounds great... i usually work on sat's but at the last minute found a replacement!
whee!

as a pier guy i'm new to the surf so would love to see how the pros do it, and try out my new OM surf rods. if there's anything i can bring besides chipping in for bait,etc , let me know...

i'll be coming from chapel hill NC, if anyone wants to carpool, etc, for the daytrip. is it a walk from the parking lot?

shorefisher

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
shorefisher, welcome aboard. I believe it is a walk over but if we move to OI or futher S I have 4wd an you'd be welcome to ride along.

BTW Sand Flea if ya reading this I also agree with th rest that Wilber should be nominated for th next available AOM. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quick queston for you folks. What is the best way to hook an eel to use for bait?? Also what is the best size to use for stripers?

Grant

·
Registered
3 Posts
Eels for Stripers. Ever use 'em?

:D USAFSSGT: Ever use 'em? Got a coupla points for ya from another post of mine

First let me tell ya that I like 'em about 18" to about 24" 'cuz they're heavier than the small ones, cast further and catch bigger bass. Then, the bigger they are, the harder they can be to work with so I like to keep 'em CALM...

To keep 'em calm, keep dem snakes COLD!

Ya gotta keep dem snakes icy cold to keep 'em calm. I use a 5 gallon bucket with a styrofoam liner and lid and another smaller perforated bucket that fits inside the foam bucket. It's a jury-rigged deal but the bottom line is that I keep tossing ice in my bucket of eels but the water and the eel slime can drain off so that the buggers won't drown. There's a couple of places I can check for you on how to make your own eel bucket from scrap 5 gallon food buckets, cut up and drilled full of drainage holes, etc. I'll try to check it out and get back to ya! But if'n y'all wanna keep eels in bulk for a trip to the OBX I'd use a cooler full of ice and keep it well drained. Don't let that cooler fill up and drown your snakes!

Also, keep an old hand towel or a piece of burlap or some kind of rag handy to grab 'em with. Grab 'em by the head and slap their tails three, four or five good wacks against a rock or a pier piling or the side of your cooler just before ya hook 'em! Don't y'all be afraid! Give 'em a few hard "b e a c h" slaps! It kinda stuns 'em and makes it easier for ya to turn 'em around and hook 'em up under the jaw and out behind an eye socket. After a cast and a little spell in the water, they warm up a bit and get over the slapping and start to move about a bit, just enough to start to get interesting to them stripey looking fish. If they get chomped in half, you know the blues are around and you might want to consider changing baits, moving, waiting for the blues to leave or tying a tandem hook rig with a trailer hook half way back on the eel. Course, eels are kind of expensive to waste on blues when dem gators will hit just about anything!

:D JimiDaBeachBumm

"Life's a beach!"

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Hey Wilber

Figuring on Fishing down there Friday, Saturday and part of Sunday. What is the bunker situation like, do they sell by the flat (guess about fifty pounds) or bushel (kinda of the same) and what are the chances of getting some good fresh Friday morning?

Usually when my brother and I hit AI, we buy a flat, which lasts us about two days on four rods each.

Also, say weather is looking good, is it looking "flip-flop" good?

It's only about forty-eight hours until we (some of us guys up here, figure we need a days practice) shall begin the (what may hope to become annual) first KDH, P&S git together.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey Shaggy,
I don't know where to get a flat of bunker, I'm a Mullet fisherman. My guess would be Wanchese at the commercial docks. I plan on picking up about 20lbs. from Whalebone Tackle on Friday afternoon. If you don't find any, you are welcome to some of ours.

If this thing works out like planned I think an annual P&S gathering will happen. At least I think it would be a good idea.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts