Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like me and Jason are going to go to Narrows tonight for a short trip. Will be there from about 7-12. Just getting a little fishing in to get mind off of things. Been that kind of a week. If you see us, stop by and say hi.
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Parking

Anthony, I have never fished the narrows, but I will be out that way next friday snow goose hunting. I want to do some fishing on the way back. Where do you park??

·
Registered
720 Posts
Be sure to give us a report when you're back Anthony. I'll be out there saturday.

Parking is plentiful there. You literally park 50 feet from the fishing location. Can't get better than that.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Change of plans. Looks like I can't make it after all. Jason may still go but something came up. I may try to make it down there in a few weeks.
-Anthony

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
Let's see...Anthony is the one with the girl friend and something just came up so he can't go. Jason doesn't have one and can still go.:D Jason, we need to find you a woman.:p You have way too much time on your hands.

Catman.

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Well it was my weekend for my son but some"things" came up and I can't get him. Other wise called "DRAMA". So I am up for anything this weekend. Might actually hit the bars. Been a few weeks since I had a drink.:jawdrop: That is unless someone wants to meet up and fish!:D

·
Registered
24 Posts
#1. Helpful Hints for my P&S Friends- Rock Catching

I live on Kent Island and I've fished the Narrows for 8 years.

This week was under par cause of Isabel and weather changes. Isabel has resculpted the bottom terrain. I used to know it like my hand, now it's a bit of a guess. On Tuesday 10/14 there was a lot of wood and debris floating down to the Bay from the Chester River thru the Narrows. On Wed there was a new major obstruction (tree?) underwater under the south side of the new bridge (high) and between the first set of pillars (Island side) and the second set. Maybe 4 rigs were lost to that bad boy. The twin holes have moved- still trying to figure out the bottom. Remember Isabel put all of this several feet under water. The winds on the Bay Tues-Fri caused the lowest low tides I've seen in a long time.
Even the high tides looked like low low tides.

I use a drop sinker rig 90% of the time: Line from reel to a three-way swivel, on the second part tie a 3 or 4 oz teardrop sinker (lead & brass) on about a foot to 18" of line, on the third part tie a 2/O or 3/O bronze hook on a line that is about 1/3 longer than your sinker line. I use 17# Test Stren for everything. [This rig holds better in the 10+ knot current without getting stuck in the rocky bottom, and the long leader lets the hook flow parallel to the bottom and close to it where the rock are feeding. Reel in fast no matter what rig you use!]

I use crab sometimes, but 90% of the time I use FRESH alewife from Island Hunting & Fishing on Route 50 3 exits before the Kent Narrows West exit. Call ahead and "reserve" what you need at 410-643-4224.

Alewife is a local natural bait for Rock- they crave it! Scale it, take out the heart and guts after you cut the head off. Put the heart in your hook, then a small piece of guts, then a piece of fish about the size of your thumb.

This sub-par week: Tues 18 Rock (2 18's, 2 19's and a 20); Wed 9 Rock (2 19's); Thur 7 Rock (17's -no keepers); Sat 7 Rock (all 17's).

At slack tide the Rock will generally stop bottom feeding. If you see signs of small baitfish rippling the top water there are Rock underneath. Use a 2/0 hook and no weight and a piece of alewife and cast to the schooling baitfish. Let the water work your bait. The Rock will take it and start swimming hard away. Tighten the line slowly and set the hook with a wrist flick and crank of the reel.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Thanks for the tips runes. Might have to try it later today!:D

·
Registered
129 Posts
Wow, nice results runes. I wonder what a "good" week for you is. Interesting input on the rig. I lost a whole bunch of the standard stuff alst time i was there. So you're parking under the East side of the bridge and fishing from under the little wooden "boardwalk"

·
Registered
24 Posts
If I tell you ALL my secrets will you speak well of me at my eulogy?!

Nope, most of my fishing is on the Island side (= Kent Narrows West) fishing on the wooden walkway between the high bridge pillars.

If there is a strong east or nor'east or southeast wind I will fish the land side (Kent Narrows East) on the dirt by the bulkhead under the boardwalk but only on an outgoing tide.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts