Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my bro fished there from 8-12pm on saturday and almost got skunked for the first time this season. I caught a 6" blue crab while it was trying to munch down on my cut bait but my bro saved the day with his 23" striper. It was a really slow day with strong currents. We saw a few perch and another 19" striper caught but that was it. Hopefully the action will heat up for next weekend :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
Kent Narrows 10/12

Very quiet there yesterday afternoon. I know that KN is a night/evening place but you usually catch something or see something caught even during the day.! This cool weather should get things going.
:(

·
Registered
164 Posts
When the fishing heats up, I will be there. Just keep the reports coming. I'm looking for bubba.

screaming reels

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking to go there this weekend if it's not rainy or too windy. This time I'm bringing a net to catch some bait fish. They're everywhere during the night.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hear you. Me too. Floating live bait fish gets 'em every time.

tight lines and screaming reels;)

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the weather looks pretty decent for saturday so I'm planning to head to kent narrows to see how the action is. Hope there's some spots in the area so the blues will be around. I think I'll try out the east side this time around.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I should try that. Me and Jason threw a small castnet and caught dozens of shiners, I should try live-lining one next time.
-Anthony

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What do shiners look like? They're not those small 1-3" skinny fish you see near the pilings are they?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Yep those are it. That's what the blues and stripers are feedling on.
-Anthony

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info Anthony. I'll be sure to bring my minnow trap this time and see if those shiners really catch fish.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
If their anything like what I saw at the Tank the other day,the blues were tearing them up and the gulls were feasting on the left overs(about 3 to 4" long).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Shiners, silversides, spearing, they got a bunch of names. Just depends where you are.
-Anthony

·
Registered
374 Posts
although they look similar there is a difference between a spottail shiner, bay anchovy and silverside (spearing). small menhaden do show up in small schools at the narrows but not like they do at the choptank.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What can I put in the minnow trap to catch these bait fish? Would a chicken bone with some meat work? This will be the first time I'm using chicken to catch fish. I hope it works and lands me something other than crabs nibbling on them. I managed to cut big fat strips from the thighs that I bought.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Fish bait for minnow traps

A can of cat or dog food with holes punched through it...

A stocking or net bag (like an onion bag) filled with dog bones...

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Minnow Bait

Dried dog food, cat food, cooked or raw shrimp or crab shells work well for me all summer long! Tight Lines To All! Murphman:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts