Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tony G was catching some fish that he was using for live lining at the Tank the other night. How do you guys keep them alive for use later on? 5 Gal pail with a air pump?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
That is exactly right. That is how axon and I did it last year. He has got a battery powered air pump and works well too.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason. I kind of thought so. Tony G lost a nice striper(?) Friday night live lining.

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
I heard you the first time! LOL.
Yeah, I've seen a few people use little bait wells and a rope. Seems easier than a filter.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Sandcrab it depends on the size of your bait and how many, I have a 5 gallon buket with two pumps for 6 to 7in and about 15 to 20 of White Perch.
That so they get plenty of 02. ;) :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sandcrab-I use one of those floating bait cages that you use to keep your freash water fish alive while your in the boat,I put a 30'rope tyed to the handle then to the pier,works great,any sporting goods store has them. :cool: :D

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
All those ideas work but just remember it is tiresome to be pulling the rope up and down from the pier. And in reality you couldn't use the small minnow bucket if you were trying to keep more than 2 spot alive. In the fall the spot start leaving and sometimes at the tank the spot are hitting and then they are not. So try to catch a few just in case the spot stop biting and the rock do. Nothing worse than having a few nice runs and running out of bait :eek:

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Here's a nifty little aerator for a 5 gal. bucket from BPS for only $6.99. web page. When the web page comes up just enter Aerator in the upper left search box.

Catman.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Actually much of the time I don't even bother with the bucket in the water.

It's not like you have to put a new bait on every 5 minutes.

I've had Spot and White Perch live (lively and frisky the whole time) while hooked in the back and livelined for 6+ HOURS (of course, ideally you'd hope that things weren't that slow.)

Normally you can catch them faster than you need new baits. At times the spot can be erratic, you may want to pile up a suppply. But they'll live indefinately in a minnow bucket in the water.

I've never caught livelined rock at the Tank at the pace where I'd get "tired" pulling the bucket up. And if I did I wouldn't mind too much :)

They'll survive better in the river than in an aerated bucket, and you don't have to use batteries or put up with the noise.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Question on live lining.. can I do this with a spinning reel (Daiwa Jupiter 6500/Jarvis Walker Integra Gold) or do I need to go pick up a Shimano/Okuma baitrunner?

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
You can do it on a spinning reel. The baitrunners are just nice cause they have a separate control for the drag and for the baitrunner.
Using a spinning reel (or baitcaster), just set your drag so a big fish can pull line out and believe me, you'll hear the line going out. Its an unmistakeable sound!
Baitrunners are sweet though if you have $ to spend.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks, Husky!

Care to keep answering dumb questions, lol? OK, I've caught myself a few spot, have thrown them in a bucket with an aerator. Now, I hok one up (I assume under the backbone by the dorsal?)... do I just open the bail and drop it over the side, allowing it to take it's own amount of line uout? I assume I don't really want to cast it any distance, lol... when do I close the bail with the bait having taken enough line?

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Rugger when livelining I use the drum rig so the fish can take some line when bait is eaten with 2-4 oz of weight depending on tide. Usually the fish doesn't take a bunch of line so I don't worry about when to close it. If you get a lively one though cut a quarter piece off it tail and it won't be swimming very far but will swim erratic and entice the stripers. Casting is really your preference. You are not going to be able to cast very far with that setup and bait so make the call. I often do at the tank and have caught many so just preference and structure that matters. Hope this helps

1 - 15 of 15 Posts