Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have never owned a kayak but am getting one this christmas, i found a really good deal on a manta ray 14 and would like to get some reviews from the people who know what a novice needs, but im talkin a real good deal!

·
Registered
440 Posts
Great yak, lots on nice places for rigging. Go fot it!

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
anything you buy, make sure you fit it. when i say that, i mean make sure you are not to big for it in your weight vs. what it is rated for...

dont want to put a 250lb man in a 230lb rated kayak :)

i hear they are nice kayaks, i hvnt paddled one personally, i have a heritage redfish12, and dont think ill change that for a whileee..i love it...

if you can, test paddle it first.

Jesse

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well im only 15 and hopefuly wont weight 200 pounds for a while lol, but it is rated close to 400 lbs, but another question is: do u think it would be too big for me i am 5'7"

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
well im only 15 and hopefuly wont weight 200 pounds for a while lol, but it is rated close to 400 lbs, but another question is: do u think it would be too big for me i am 5'7"
na, dont really think it will be to big at all...if anything and you keep it a while, it will still be good..

im 6'1ish and 230lbs, and my 12' redfish is great...

that 14' footer should do you just fine..

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have a Redfish 12 as well. Im about 165 and the 12 actually has some glide... a 14 would be alot faster for long paddles. Im getting a Redfish 14 in the spring.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Make sure it's in good shape and then go for it.
Haven't owned one but paddled one a couple of times.Think it is one of the best paddeling ones out there.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got a Manta Ray 14. It is one of the original Liquid Logic ones. It paddles great. Easy to handle. Lots of room to mount things. I am quite satisfied with it.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Practice carrying it before you buy. No offense, but a 14' yak might be a little difficult for most 15 year olds to carry to and from the water. Even as a 21 year old, my 14 foot redfish could be a burden to carry after a long days paddle. Just something you may want to consider before diving in head first.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What JHMORGAN said about transporting is a good thing to keep in mind. I have a WS Ride 135 and I am 6'5" 240ish and after a day of paddling it can be a bear to get up on my SUV. Now part of that is that I am anal about my car and try to lift it clean as not to scratch my car. If you have a low car, or a truck, or an suv that you can just slide it up on, then you are probalby golden. However, if you dont, then I would look into some way to assist in the loading. Also, my new rule is that I dont mind asking someone for assistance at the boat launches when loading or unloading my yak. You will find that Yak Fishermen (for the most part) are really helpful people. It was a weird transition for me to go from a pier and surf fisherman to a yak fisherman. On the pier's I ran into some really interesting characters who were quite territorial and at times rude (I also ran into some really nice people too) but I have yet to encounter that with Yak fishermen. As a matter of fact, it seems that Yak fishermen seem more than willing to hook you up with knowledge and advice (if desired). Heck if it wasn't for the flame war that I would create, I would post my map of honey holes in the Lynnhaven area. :D hehehe. But then again I learned my lesson the last time I did that. Anyway, good luck with your new yak. You will love it. Nothing better than fishing and burning a few calories at the same time.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I am also looking at a Redfish 14 for the spring. I currently have a cheap barge. It is a Perception Caster 12.5 and I have managed to use it to good effect. I just want something with more room and smoother glide. Also, the Redfish 14's have the largest cockpit space of any SOT available. I put them side by side up at ARC in Farmville with other makes and models and they win hands down. They are huge in the area right in front of where I will be sitting. That means more storage and less cramped feeling with all of the Sh!T I carry with me that I want easily accesable. They are also VERY stable.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I am also looking at a Redfish 14 for the spring. I currently have a cheap barge. It is a Perception Caster 12.5 and I have managed to use it to good effect.

Yeah but I hear that a Caster keeps you safer in a Lightning Storm. :eek::eek::eek:

Let me know if you wanna get out with that new Redfish this spring and give the gods of nature another run for their money. I traded in my little blue guy for a Ride 135 so I am better equipt to battle those big ole red's! :)

Thom

p.s.- Nice run of speck's this past weekend dude!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Practice carrying it before you buy. No offense, but a 14' yak might be a little difficult for most 15 year olds to carry to and from the water. Even as a 21 year old, my 14 foot redfish could be a burden to carry after a long days paddle. Just something you may want to consider before diving in head first.
well i know it will be a burden after a long days pattle, but im preety strong, i bench around 200, but every time i go atleast for the meantime i will have atleast 1 other person there so we could both carry it, thanks for the thought tho

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have never had a problem carrying mine. Just flip it up, put the seat on your head and it balances nicely. The MR 14 is one of the heavier yaks I have toted, but it is not overly cumbersome. I'll gladly carry the 12 extra pounds to get the 2 extra feet over my Tarpon 120.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yeah but I hear that a Caster keeps you safer in a Lightning Storm. :eek::eek::eek:

I sure as chit helped THAT day:eek::eek::eek:

Let me know if you wanna get out with that new Redfish this spring and give the gods of nature another run for their money. I traded in my little blue guy for a Ride 135 so I am better equipt to battle those big ole red's! :)

Maybe this time we'll actually catch sumpthin'

Thom

p.s.- Nice run of speck's this past weekend dude!
Oh yeah. And I am planning what day to take off of work nec=xt week to go after another haul! Very tasty when pecan crusted and butter dusted.....

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hahaha the day I fished with you was the last day that I was skunked this year. After that I have been into fish after fish. I started haning out one cove up from the one that you and I fished and each time I have been there, I got into them. Anyway, I might be going out next friday for a night run at either the HRBT or CBBT (if I can get an invite....ahem....Skunk....ahem) to go after some Stripped Side-eyes if you are interested. PM me here or on POL.

·
Registered
232 Posts
im 15 and love my Manta Ray 14 weighs prolly 70 lbs i can carry it by my self, load it and unload it. and it track and paddles great
I have never had a problem carrying mine. Just flip it up, put the seat on your head and it balances nicely.
thats exactly how i carry it. the side handles are in the perfect place for that to

Heck if it wasn't for the flame war that I would create, I would post my map of honey holes in the Lynnhaven area. :D hehehe. But then again I learned my lesson the last time I did that.
yeah i wouldnt do that joe watches these boards. lol:D jk

·
Registered
117 Posts
im 15 and love my Manta Ray 14 weighs prolly 70 lbs i can carry it by my self, load it and unload it.
Holy crap......that is only like 5 lbs less than you weigh isn't it Matt? :p:p:p

yeah i wouldnt do that joe watches these boards. lol:D jk
Haha, yeah it took a while to get his heart beating again the last time I posted a google earth map of all the honey holes in lynnhaven. hehe

Oh well!!!:fishing:

·
Registered
117 Posts
naw more like 80 pounds less:D

you coming to the beach this weekend. looking to head to the ditch sunday but have no idea where to fish there
nah. I wish I was but I am land locked. I am thinking of going out next Friday night for some striped at chicks or possibly hrbt.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts