Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
yea rockhead is right there not tippy. I took one out in pretty rough whether once for a kayak. Waves were 2-3 foot and continuous and i didnt tip once. Just make sure you arent hit on the side and your good.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
well as far as stability goes: during the summer I get bored and try to push the kayak envelope (w/o fishing poles) anyway when it gets rough I like to "surf kayak" like riding waves, and plowinng directly into oncoming waves. I have been in waves that are 3-4 feet tall. much like a boat if you paddle straight into a wave youll be ok if you have some speed. the real thrill is catching waves.. when your at the top of a four footer looking straight down as your about to slide down the face of the wave.if you do stuff like this you WILL tip, but its fun when the water is warm, especially when you have a beginner or your girlfriend on the kayak with you (makes for good stories). anyway its easy, hit the waves head on and you wont tip, if you catch a wave coming in HOLD ON, you can help to steer with your paddle too.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Have 1 man sit on-lots of fun to paddle around in. Have gone about 1/2 mile out. A bit nervous catching a good size,bloody tarpon and flipping the boat in th emiddle of the sharks.. YES-they are tippy, especially if you are a guy with a decent beer belly. Center of gravity is way above waterline. Good kayakers will turn the boat sideways and let the fish pull in this direction-very little resistence in bow/stern direction. Have been looking into outrigger system for better stability and when the water warms up, will use it to deliver large hunks of cut bait to try to catch a few shark from the beach.

·
Registered
130 Posts
That outrigger system sounds like it might be the TICKET! If it works out, post on it.

Thank's for the reply's :D

Tight lines,

Jighead

·
Registered
389 Posts
Outriggers on a canoe make a huge difference.I'm sure they would make you feel a little more comfortable with the sharks and the bleeding fish that your pulling closer. :D

21 - 26 of 26 Posts