Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've done a lot of pier and freshwater fishing, but very little ocean kayak fishing. I bought my kayak last summer and haven't taken it out in the salt yet.

Any reccomendations on where to try for this weekend? I was thinking of hitting Ruddee and trying for flounder,trout, drum,etc.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Have you practiced self rescue in case you flip. Not as easy as it looks. My advice for fishing is make sure your stuff is attached also for your net I tapped a short piece of a pool noodle so it will float.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. Yes, I've done tons of self rescue practice!

Any recommendations on baits/lures? I'm thinking of trying some baits, and gulp shrimp mostly.

Also, how is Lynnhaven Inlet? Any advice for around there?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
There is a fleet of kayaks in Rudee so hopefully you can get first hand info. If you‘re trying to find the fish I would go with 3 to 4” paddle tail lures like Bass Assassins and Z-Man or Gulp swimming mullet on 1/4 to 3/8 oz jigheads. Popping cork with live minnows is also an option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a fleet of kayaks in Rudee so hopefully you can get first hand info. If you‘re trying to find the fish I would go with 3 to 4” paddle tail lures like Bass Assassins and Z-Man or Gulp swimming mullet on 1/4 to 3/8 oz jigheads. Popping cork with live minnows is also an option.
Thanks! I'll pickup some of those lures. I'm thinking of hitting Lynnhaven instead but not sure.

Should I be hitting around socks/structure? Open water?
Sorry guys I am a total novice at this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts