Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first report since ive been on p&s so i hope you like it and its not as misinformative as i expect.

So on saturday we headed out on dolphin expressway for what looked like a wonderful 103.4 miles of travel and a great fishing day. we we were very close to juno when we got lost on Donald ross but whatever after going through some gas stations we found our way in.well we got there and we went up on the pier at 6:20 and there where a few people already out there but quite empty, so we set up shop at the right before the square end part, so i threw out my sargus with a piece of fresh dead thread herring and with my small conventional and well less than 2 minutes passedand my bait was long gone by the darn blue runner that were there...dead bait was not an option to consider anymore, i tried getting some greenies with sabiki but no luck, booth my reels were out of the water for a while.in the mean time with my small spinner i was throwing out a gotcha plug...not one hit in 30 minutes...and that was when i saw my dads rod go slam and bring up a nice blue runner with squid, so i changed to squid. i finally got a nice small blue R. that i threw out on my conv. and then i got my hands on a small greenie and threw it out on the sargus.well whatever nothing interesting until 8-9 am , rod were going off by the bunches and mostly all 15-30lb bonitos with the exception of a few snook here and there and one nice 20lb cuda(this was all mostly caught from the middle part of the pier).there were a billion snook right under us but they werent biting for no one.and well after a few hours my dad got tired and we started packing up and the day was to an end. we finished with 4 blue runners in the cooler which i wanna use for bait, but first i gotta convince my dad they have no table fare...right?is there any restriction on blue R.? and that was about it. thanks for reading hope you liked it.what did i miss?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Blue runner aka hard tails are delicious fish...specially at the size of the ones you have there in the picture. Some authentic Japanese sushi chefs really love them as they are high in fat content but have a very mild and clean translucent flesh. The flesh of very large specimen does sometimes look quite darker than the small ones so it is better to target fish under 3lbs if you are looking for something for the table. Fillet one out and see for yourself. I remove the small bloodline from the fillets right after taking off the skin. Cook any way you like or try some raw with some soy and wasabi....yummy!!

PS blue runner are under no management plan or restriction in Florida (unrestricted species).

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Blue runner aka hard tails are delicious fish...specially at the size of the ones you have there in the picture. Some authentic Japanese sushi chefs really love them as they are high in fat content but have a very mild and clean translucent flesh. The flesh of very large specimen does sometimes look quite darker than the small ones so it is better to target fish under 3lbs if you are looking for something for the table. Fillet one out and see for yourself. I remove the small bloodline from the fillets right after taking off the skin. Cook any way you like or try some raw with some soy and wasabi....yummy!!

PS blue runner are under no management plan or restriction in Florida (unrestricted species).
they weigh 1lb each, we already chopped off the head and took out the guts and we skinned it im not sure how were gonna cook it though. ideas? not a fan of raw!thanks.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
I hear alot of people eat the blue runners, I've never tried them though. However, put one out on a heavier rod with a stinger rig, you might pick up a king or a cuda off the pier.;)

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hear alot of people eat the blue runners, I've never tried them though. However, put one out on a heavier rod with a stinger rig, you might pick up a king or a cuda off the pier.;)
i have to check out that stinger rig ive never seen one before, thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts