Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last day of the big drum run was historic!!! Got to the pier around 12 on Tuesday, while checking in one of the staff said they were hooked up on the end. Got my stuff in the room and went to get a quick look. Got to the end and drum were laying on the deck and being fought. Back to the truck and the bait store, Haven't drum fished in over 15 years and forgot about using spot for bait and got 4 large mullet. Baited up and first cast at 12:50pm, 12:56 hooked up, after a good fight one on the deck with a 43.5" length. Less than an hour and second drum hits the deck at 39".
On my next cast, my shoulder goes out, not dislocated but in severe pain. So, I now can only cast using 40 or 50% of what strength I have left and dealing with chronic pain on each cast. By 5:00pm, I have 2 more, a 38 and 39". Had to force myself off the pier because I knew if I stayed out there, wouldn't be able to hold a rod or cast the next couple days. On the other hand knew the clearing weather would probably end this epic run.
Wednesday morning went to end to have a look and saw the main run was over and I wasn't physically able to fish for them anyway. During the 4 hours I fished tues. afternoon, saw 5 or 6 hooked up at one time with 3 fish waiting to be pulled over the rail. If someone hadn't had a run, hooked up or have one decked, it was only a minute or two before it was game on again.
Talked to one of the regulars wed. evening and he said maybe a dozen caught all day and thrus. morning they were back to king fishing. With no accurate count that I know of, the couple of people I talked to, think it was over a 100 released Tuesday and night.
Being forced to bottom fish wed, caught many small black drum and pompano a couple small spot, pin fish, small jacks, a couple small whiting a blow toad and one 12" spec. Only 2 keeper fish I saw caught
was a slot red and maybe a 16" flounder. Thursday the bigger pompano moved in with a few big spots along with the numerous small black drum. Saw 2 keeper flounder caught, one just over 15 and the other fatty at 21.5".
Only have pic of first drum that my gf took on her phone and after she left, I saw my phone had died. Will try to post one later.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Thats awesome! Sorry to hear about your shoulder though.
My avatar pic was taken during a similar run at Jennettes last year. Epic

1 - 3 of 3 Posts