Banned
969 Posts
i use the huricane brand from wally world, buti never catch any fish:eek:

·
Registered
495 Posts
one with a hook...

:rolleyes:

- match the weight how far you are trying to cast, where in the water column you want to work, andhow bad the current is.
- mix and match color to find what the fish want.
- jig head shape can determine a lot too, different shapes perform differently in the water.
- also there is hook size, different jigs have different size hooks...

people have their go to baits, but that doesnt mean itll be the same for your area.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
If your tossing Gulp Swimming Mullets for Flounder make sure that the jig head is small or you have a good chance of gut hooking the fish. I like the Gotchas 1/8 1/4 and 3/8 oz. I don’t like the offshore angler 1/2 the hook is to long as is the Gotcha. Look around at the different tackle shops there are different styles of hook that work well for the Gulps

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Not wanting to hijack, but do any of you ever use a piece of cut bait on a hook above say a Gulp mullet? I do that with live mullet or mud minnows sometimes, but does/has anybody done that with artificials??

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
The size depends on 2 things the depth of the water and the current. The greater each are the heavier the jig head. I usually use 3/8 to 3 oz jig heads. Though there is one place I use 1/4 popeye with a 7/0 hook with 6 inch curly tails.

I have used strip baits on jigs for flavor but rarely.

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Not wanting to hijack, but do any of you ever use a piece of cut bait on a hook above say a Gulp mullet? I do that with live mullet or mud minnows sometimes, but does/has anybody done that with artificials??
Putting a strip bait or a piece of squid works well when the tail has been bitten off the swimming mullet it adds flavor hand adds motion to the lure.

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
Thanks for the input, guys! I picked up a pack of the swimming mullet in the summer before we went to the coast. I used the Gulp shrimp and peelers but was able to get enough live minnows to keep the Gulp ones without using them. I'll keep your suggestions in mind for next time around. I appreciate it! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts