Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is you're experience with the color of a jig head when catching flounder? I was in Oceans East II the other day and they had some orange jig heads in the clearance bin. The question went through my mind once again, "Which color is best?" You see I like to keep the tackle box lean and mean for those walks to the water. So I'd rather not experiment too much and I just starting using jigs last fall when Jake Ace was crowing about the now famous electric chicken grubs.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jake Ace and I typically match our jigheads to the grub color. Chartreuse head for greens, red head for white or dark grubs(like motoroil). Red would be fine for electric chicken, but orange would probably work just as well.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I was hoping one of you two would reply. As of now I only have white and red ones in the size for flounder fishing. I've got some shad heads but they are too heavy. I use those for stripers.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I hold Chartreuse, White & Red all in 1/8 oz, 1/4 oz, 3/8 oz, 1/2 oz and a couple 1 oz ones as well.

I know that sounds crazy, but if you're fishing on the Gloucester Pier ... at the end ... and it's slack tide, you can easily get a 1/8th oz head down to the bottom.

But when the tide's moving it takes anywhere from a 3/8th oz head to a 1/2 oz just to get it close. Hence all the sizes ... and we do use them all.

Also, every now and then I think about buying Orange or Pink, but I don't.

THROW MORE BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jake usually tips them with a small piece of shrimp or cut fish, but I usually prefer not to. I don't think it makes that much of a difference in the number of flounder caught, but Jake definately attracts and lands more croaker, lizardfish, and sea robins with the tippet. Of course, that's why I fish without the tippet, because I can then assume with some certainty that any strike is a flounder.

...and now, Jake's rebuttal..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Now see, that's where Kimoslobby is wrong because in addition to smokin' him on Croaker, Lizardfish and Sea-Robins, I also outfish him 10 to 1 on Northern Star-Gazers, Puffer Fish and Oyster Toads.

And I definitely rule the Lizardfish.

THROW SOME / MORE BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
57 Posts
And 4-6in Black Sea Bass, Pinfish, and assorted crabs.

Jake typically tops my flounder catch as well, but I think that has as much to do with presentation/determination as the tippet. Jig fishing for flounder is all about location (gotta have structure, either pier posts or sloughs--something!), presentation (not too fast, not too slow--lightest jighead possible, you just want it to barely hold bottom, also don't be afraid to experiment if nothings working. I once had a run of 8 fish in 8 casts after being shut out for 3hrs. by trying a redhead with a white/char-tail grub--'course, it never worked again and Jake still rolls his eyes at the day I "went Italian"), and determination (I've seen Jake fish for 8hrs straight and catch nothing the first 7hrs, but make up for it with 5 fish during the last hour).

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you guys usually twitch the grub or just slow retrieve it? My luck seemed to be with just a slow retrieve.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Twitch typically. Cast out, and then let it flutter to the bottom...sit...sit...sit...then pop it off the bottom and let it fall again...sit...sit...sit...repeat. The key is the weight. It's hard for rookies to accept (was for me), but the lighter the weight the better. Sometimes our best days come from nothing but the movement of the current bouncing our jigs along the bottom.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'll agree with the twitching of the jig. And I think that Kimoslobby does the twitch thing better than I do, but it's more from a chemical imbalance than an actual aquired skill of his.

Also, definitely use the lighest jighead possible that just kinda skims along the sandy bottom with the current most times. And more often than not the current will take the lure to where the fish are sitting waiting to ambush a bait anyway.

THROW SOME / MORE BACK

Jake Ace

1 - 12 of 12 Posts