Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
i use a 7 foot fast action rod with 12 pound test line. decent freshwater rods with fast action works. personally i just want to jerk the lure quickly and some ppl like to have some more bounce wiht the lure by suing a slower action rod.

·
Registered
450 Posts
The thing about jigging with anything over 7ft is the extension handle past the reel gets longer as with your 9ft or even an 8ft rod and makes jigging more cumbersome. You want to use your wrist jigging, with anything longer than a 7 the handle has to actually rest against your forearm. Plus with multiple repeated casts I think it would work on your arms a bit but this is my two cents worth. I will jig with a 9 footer for blues that are far out but that doesnt last but so long, anything inclose like trout and pups or flounder I use my 7 footer. That is my opinion. Im interested myself what others have to say.:fishing::popcorn::beer:

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I've got a custom built spinner 7 1/2' single foot guides, short cork grip with slide rings for a reel seat hypalon knob on the end of the blank... ain't balanced for chit, but when throwing under handed, and working a gotcha it can't be beat... got a Quantum Energy E-5 on it, nice straight stem, can wrap your fingers around it easily... 20# PP and 30" of 20# mono rounds out the unit... a spanish catching machine...

·
Registered
5,459 Posts
off the beach and off a pier are different. I like 8' off the beach and 7' off the pier. sometimes you need the distance. always keep a metal lure at hand. up to 3oz. jmo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.