Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been there lately? I found out theres a pier there amd according to someone my wife works woth people are catching puppy drums amd stripers. I am finding this hard to believe considering how cold its been. Any input is appreciated.

OD

·
Registered
486 Posts
The pier is located behind the USO. It's a great place during the summer to catch bluefish. Specks may come in the area at times.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
I will say that the small ditch that leaves Whitehurst and enters little creek inlet right next to that pier used to produce lots of puppys, specks and rockfish right through winter before they stopped allowing traffic to park along shore drive and fish that ditch...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Havent fished there but I could see stripers being caught there right now because of the warm december, but i highly doubt they caught puppy drum. The water temps are in the forties. Way too cold for drum.

·
Registered
929 Posts
....are catching puppy drums amd stripers. I am finding this hard to believe considering how cold its been. Any input is appreciated.

OD
Stripers and puppy drum have no problem with colder water or weather they can be had any time of year really in va . look at striper season all cold months . Oct to Dec and jan-may. All months but summer ... Puppy Drum are just as active ...look at all the drum that was poached out of the Elizabeth river just last yr thousand of puppy drums as well as trout.

I have always caught more puppys in the winter and fall then any other time of yr,but I fish the ER alot .

·
Registered
61 Posts
Stripers and puppy drum have no problem with colder water or weather they can be had any time of year really in va . look at striper season all cold months . Oct to Dec and jan-may. All months but summer ... Puppy Drum are just as active ...look at all the drum that was poached out of the Elizabeth river just last yr thousand of puppy drums as well as trout.

I have always caught more puppys in the winter and fall then any other time of yr,but I fish the ER alot .
Totally agree with everything you said but that was last year. This year was rough on puppy drum. Didn't see many caught like previous years. Yes at anytime some one could catch a puppy and always exception to the norm but if you talking in bunches... very unlikely THIS year.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Totally agree with everything you said but that was last year. This year was rough on puppy drum. Didn't see many caught like previous years. Yes at anytime some one could catch a puppy and always exception to the norm but if you talking in bunches... very unlikely THIS year.
LC is producing Striper, large specks, and puppy drum regularly right now

·
Registered
348 Posts
The elizbeth river also HAD a warm water generator.. doesnt no more... power plant is done so dont expecpt anywhere near as many fish as you used to catch

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was over a JEB Little Creek a few weeks ago. I saw a few people fishing from the pier behind the USO. I talked to a guy fishing and he said that there was more spots on that base to fish. I'm not real familiar with that base, but I rode around for a while and saw some possible spots. Just not sure if you can fish there. Are there any other spots to fish other the USO pier?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts