Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have retired from the Air Force. I have been hitting Onslow Beach at Camp Lejeune Marine base. Rent a Cabana on the beach for a week about 4 times a year. I have fished the surf Spring, Summer and Fall. This will be my first winter trip fishing the surf. Queston being... What can I expect to catch? Have done very well the 3 seasons mentioned but am clueless about winter fishing the NC coast. Any imputs you could give me would be great.

Thank you ahead of time!

Grant

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
US Grant,

Suggest targeting Speckled trout using 7' to 8-1/2' light tackle rod and spinning reel that handles 6-12 lb test with 1/4-1/2oz lead head. I'll assume you already have waders too ?

From beach or banks, and wading as needed, cast different sizes plastic grub-lead head combos (my standby a 3/8oz red jig head w/4" green or chartruse Mister Twister grub body), MirrOlures, or other lures that might come locally recommended. Vary lure colors w/water clarity - muddy water use dark baits clear water light to even white. Also, live shrimp, if ya can get it, under a popping cork does well.

The ol'Sneads Ferry Bridge used to be a real good place to Speck fish in Dec. at night. I wouldn't know, if it still is, since being rebuilt and not having fished there in some time. Also, the very south end of Topsail Island @ Topsail Beach used to have good places to Speck fish both ocean and soundside - public access would be the issue there now, ie., is there any other then JR or Topsail Sound piers.

I'm sure others locally can chime in with more contemporary and valued input. Or look up a legendary local fisherman Mr. Angelo Depeola (AKA Depe) who lives/fishes TB & JR pier. If he's still around, he can definitely help you out, especiallly should you develop Speck fever or want to pursue a Silver King off the end of a pier during the Summer !

Tell him Mark Feltner sent ya to him :D

Regardless go fish,

`bucket

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
we used to vacation at topsail all the time and thats the guy who taught me how to kingfish off the end of the pier. I saw him gaff a king that was brought in green in the middle of a storm one time, then correctly guess its weight to the oz.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did good on the specks the week I was down at Onslow first week of Nov. Nice thing about Onslow it is pretty much closed to the public. Caught a good 25-35 80% 20 inch and better. Largest was at 3.5 lb. All caught in the surf from about 0200 to sun up. I am going down for a week first week of 2004. There are some pretty good holes right in the back of the Cabanas. So my walk is only about 100 yards. I did not know the specks would still be there come January. Thus me asking in the forum. Yes will have my 3.5mm insulated waders as well as the long johns under them. :D I always just use my 8'.6" Med/Light Salmon rod and 12lb Spiderwire fusion. Does anyone think there will be anything else? Like maybe drum or the like.

Thank you again for any info.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
Grant,

Nice catch and sounds like your already on it ... hope you can stay on those Specks as long as water temp holds out for ya ... and that's how I'd have to reply to your question re:"Like maybe drum or the like" ... is that for most part it will be water temp dependent at your location ... min-max preferred temp ranges for saltwater fish are well documented/published and are a good guide to whether you should bother to even wet a line or what species to target during a given time of year.

Obviously, other factors like prevailing weather, bait availability, water depth and salinity, bottom type and structure along with a plethora of other things even the fish gods can play a role :D

Regardless drum or the like are a possibility. If water is to cold say <45 F, odds of catching pert near anything from beach go way down :rolleyes: I used to carry a thermometer w/me, now I just go with personal history and local info like your after here. If board fails to produce, hit local tackle shops, fish houses, gas stations, barber shop, pub, etc for more local and current info.

My .02 cents ;)

`bucket

Bluerunner, Yeah Depe is a great guy and helped me out Kingin' @ JR when I fished there 1983-93 window.:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well off on my little week trip. Outback packed and will post a report next Friday. Temps going to be in the upper 60's next 3 days. Have been hearing still Specks in the surf. But alas time will tell. Would like to hook at least one stripper, that would make the trip all that much better. Hope everyone has a good New Years.

Grant

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Interesting I have to spend 10 days at canp lejune doing environmental work every quarter, was wondering how fishing was at onslow beach. last time checked out bogue pier it seemed like lots of small junk with a good run of blues and spanish before dark.

·
Banned
1,208 Posts
US Grant ... lookin' forward to your fishing report and hope you get by ol'Sneads ferry bridge ;)

Bluerunner ... heard anything `bout Depe ?

Rockhead ... you do Env. work ? What kind ?? Let's talk :cool:

Belated Happy New Year P&S NC Board :D

`bucket

1 - 8 of 8 Posts