Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering has anyone here fished in JR pier. Went to check it out this weekend but they dont have a walk on fee. :( I didnt want to pay 6.50 to just walk out and see what they where catching if anything. Looks like a very nice pier but you never know.

·
Registered
118 Posts
It is an ok pier. It gets really noisey in the day with all the cars on the bridge. In the spring time around mid march the croaker bite is great. Besies that not much else in caught out there. You can get a stripper in the winter but the bite is hit or miss. It is a well constructed pier. I usally head there at night, it quiets diwn because there is less traffic, It can get really crowded quick. All in all i would say you should give it at least a shot. It is really hadicapped frindley due to the fact it was a bridge at one time. You can sometimes get a flounder or two arounf the power lines. If you are looking for a nice relaxing night of fishing then i would say go there for sure, if you want a lot of variety then i would go someplace else.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info FISH. I will try it next time I am down that way . Its looks like a great place to take a handicap friend of mine who really wants to go fishing but is limited due to his being in a wheelchair. Love your quote !!!

·
Registered
118 Posts
it is great for wheel chair bownded people. My granny is in one and we always go there. There are a couple of spains that got a little bump but with a littel push she seems to make it no problem and she is 89. Also the resturant at the end is really good a little pricey but good. I usally get a burger and fries when i am there and thanks to cell phones i can call it in then go pick it up.

W

·
0 Posts
You know, I've been told that the James River Pier is the longest fishing pier in the world. I don't know that for certain. But I do know that it was part of the original JR bridge roadway, which is why it's constructed so well.
" FYI "...In case that comes up in some game of Trivial Pursuits ?
As to the fishing there, in the striper season - spring and fall,
the bite can be awesome there, fishing the bridge pilings from my skiff. What I don't understand, is why the pier anglers don't seem to enjoy the same kinds of action on a regular basis as we seem to when using my boat. I mean, you'ed just think that the scholls of stripers just might move into position for the gang on the pier once in a while, now wouldn't you ?
But I haven't seen that happen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Sometimes the Stripers do make quite a run for the pier gang. I've seen it when it seemed that everyone was carrying off their limits. Of course I've seen it be dead too. It seems that there aren't the large schools fish there.

A regular at the pier told me an observation last fall. The Stripers seem to bite better during the week when the commercial boats are dragging the bottom of the river.

The best advice I can give you about the JRB during Striper season is to fish the outgoing tide and cast as close to the pilings as possible. White colored grubs seem to work the best.

·
Registered
206 Posts
windhawk

i beleive that there is a sign up as u go in that says it is the longest pier on the east coast and that it is over a mile long

dan lee

fish til it hurts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts