Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrived at JRP @ 8pm. Fished until 10:00pm. 48 Croakers between 2 people.
All on Squid and Artificial Bloodworm aka Bubble gum. All medium to Large size. Only 1 or 2 dinks. Many double hook-ups. Quite a few "horses". High tide was around 10 to 11pm. Fishing slowed down right at 10pm, we were going to ride it out..but when we looked in the cooler we determined job well done.

As people were leaving i asked em "Did you fill up your cooler?" Every single answer was yes!

When we arrived everyone along the pier said "yall got here right in time...it just picked up". They were not lying, every cast was a hook-up. My shoulder hurt so bad i could barely sleep when i got home. Going back out tues evening.

Hope this answers some questions for yall about whether they are here or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pier closed at 11:30 on Sunday. Not sure about Fri-Sat hours. Also, not sure when they go to 24hrs. As far as what part of the pier, i stayed relatively close. Definetly on the first half of the pier.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
great job. What type of rig were you using and were you soaking the bait or did you have a retreive to it? Ive been using a bounce off the bottom and a slow retreive and its been paying off. Ive out fished some of the guys next to me as they were just soaking the bait. Here lately for me atleast its been all abou the retreive. Happy hunting

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MUD, was just soaking bait, if u wanna call it that, bites were coming in pretty fast. A few times, as soon as rig (standard bottom rig), hit the water BAM!
Forgot to mention, on the way off the pier stopped near the restaurant and tossed gulps for about 15mins. Almost hooked up with a flounder, lost him at the top of the water. You could see the Stripers swimming and chasing the gulps. Was gonna throw out a bucktail, but didnt feel like tying it on.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Lazy hooka!!! LOL should have tried it for the h e double L of it!! Worth it just to see what they do or how the react to your bait as you might learn something. Nothing like teaching yourself!! Good luck on your next venture mayne!!!!

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Yeas there is one within sight of the pier but wouldn't recomend going out in a jon boat there.
Gets choppy fast and big boats with big wakes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK went again last night (tues). Fished same location as sun, SLOWWWWW. Talked to a guy who was leaving from further down the pier, said he was killing them. Very nice guy, wish i knew his name, Anyway he put me onto the location he was fishing from. This time on the second half of the pier...towards the end. Moved to new location and picked up where he left off. Got into a whole lot of action. Ended up with 27. Most caught on Fishbites Bloodworms. Seemed to be the bait of choice. All others on squid.
Fished from about 8pm to close (11:30).

On the way off the pier stopped by the cleaning stations under the lights and got into a little Striper Blitz. They were smacking minnows on the surface. This time threw out the bucktail with a white grub trail. Hooked up with a 19incher which i released. Could have gotten into more but the Pier attendants ran us off, they were ready to go home.

Next time might just hang around that area for my entire time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Arrived with Mom around 6 pm and left at 9 pm last Monday. Caught 20 croakers and lost many many because I did not bring my fishing tools with me and only got rod/reel from local Ross after determined to give a shot. The average size of croakers was around 12 inch, and the largest one I saw was 18-20 inch. Fishing around the entrance of the pier. Squid was the ticket.

http://picasaweb.google.com/decentfishing/UntitledAlbum05#5330174595329158306

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.