Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished the top of the incoming tide from 1130pm till 215am last tuesday night it was still litte rainy any windy out. got a few short runs when i first got there, then about 1250am fish on. when i finally got him on the beach, he was a nice slot fish a little over 32'. then picked up two more 28' and 24.5 ended my night nicely. All my fish were caught on eels.

nov. 5 th
i went back out the next night to try my luck again. got out there about 1145pm and tied was moveing nice. not to long after i got my eels out and layed back on the sand my rod toke off. he was pull good to and the water i am fishing in is only 2.5'' to 3'' at high tide.got him on the beach 33'. It was on after that caught two more in the slot and one over the slot a skinny 34' on the nose. then picked up two more 27' and a 24'

nov. 6
i was not planning to go back out thursday night but my wife was trying to go bad. so we went back down to my little spot that i so love now to try our luck one more time. so i sat back and let my wife get her self set up. it seemed that the fish have moved on, but we started to get some short runs and no takers. then finaly, she set the hook and fish on. she got the fish to the beach nice 25'. she got a coupe more short runs and befor we called it a night she lands one mre at 26'

the best three nights we've had fishing from the surf yet!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Great fish. Congrats on the catch.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Nice fish

Not trying to start chit, just trying to figure out if I'm misreading the regulations.

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

For the James that's downstream from "A line connecting Hog Point on Hog Island (Surry County) and the downstream point of the mouth of College Creek (James City County)."

What am I missing?

·
Registered
192 Posts
your doing something right,wouldnt worry about dipnet i think he is a litlle off on regulations,it aint like them fish are pregnant and full of eggs,shoot they probally only live for a couple of months after swimming through the radoactive water in the james,scientist say anytime in the next couple of decades 3 or 4 we will lose 85 percent of species in the ocean,so i dont listen to partypoopers,great job on ya mate,even the lady friend got to feel some pullage.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not trying to start chit, just trying to figure out if I'm misreading the regulations.

Chesapeake Bay Fall Season .........................................................October 4 through December 31
........................................Minimum Size Limit..............................................................18 inches
........................................Maximum Size Limit * ......................................................... 28 inches
........................................Possession Limit - October 4 through December 20...................2 per person
........................................Possession Limit - December 21 through December 31..............1 per person

* 1 fish of the 2 fish possession limit may be 34 inches or larger; no fish may be kept between 28 and 34 inches.

Chesapeake Bay regulations for both the Spring and Fall seasons described above apply in the main stem of the Chesapeake Bay and Virginia's Chesapeake Bay tributary rivers, except for the tributary rivers emptying into the Potomac River (see note below for more information on Potomac River striper regulations).

For the James that's downstream from "A line connecting Hog Point on Hog Island (Surry County) and the downstream point of the mouth of College Creek (James City County)."

What am I missing?
i am not shore what you are missing, you should be more specific. maybe if you were, then i could help you to understand a little better.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I believe that DIPNET assumes that you kept the 32" fish. I assume that you didn't and that the photo is of the 28" and 24.5" fish. Either way, that sounds like a great time fishing. Great report and thanks for the photos.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Jimmy let me know when you're going out again. I might tag along with ya if you don't mind.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I believe that DIPNET assumes that you kept the 32" fish. I assume that you didn't and that the photo is of the 28" and 24.5" fish. Either way, that sounds like a great time fishing. Great report and thanks for the photos.
Oh, That's exactly what I was missing. I thought ymmig meant he kept the 32" fish. :confused: Sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyway, Great Fish and nice pictures! :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
I knew it. I was trying to get my friend to take his john boat out there last week. I was ready to strap the thing on top of my jeep. Good job. Dont worry about the sizes we all know that you know what your doing.

"shoot they probally only live for a couple of months after swimming through the radoactive water in the james":eek: Serious?>

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh, That's exactly what I was missing. I thought ymmig meant he kept the 32" fish. :confused: Sorry for the misunderstanding. Anyway, Great Fish and nice pictures! :D
i released all the fish that i caught in the slot, and i always release all under size fish, and i never keep more than my limit. all my fish was caught with circle hooks to and they were all nicely set right in the corner of their mouth's, and not one fish gut hooked. oh yea thanks for that extra copy of the stripped bass regs:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts