Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mind you, any boat I'm in had better have been field-tested to over 1 Ton with 2 boaters and gear.

So, I got a chance to go with a neigbor in his boat and we decided to go to the Bouy 42 area.

We got GPS Coordinates from one of Father-In-Law's Friends who fishes there every week, and he gave us sample rigs to buy / tie up.

You know the kind they use on boats for flounder ... TRIPLE SWIVELS, with a 12 oz weight and 48" of line tied to a feather body, beads, spinner blade, and Kahle hook. He said to use big strips of squid and bull-minnows. And he said, that during a moving tide we would need 10 oz to 16 oz of lead.

So of course, I bought all that stuff, and so did my buddy and we had about 40 lbs and $50 of lead that we didn't own a day earlier when we left the dock.

We got out there, and the current wasn't moving. No drift. And we could hold the bottom easily with 6 oz. Then we saw a boat motering while using those big rigs, so we tied on 12 oz of weight and motored with our squid / frozen mullet rigs.

Oh, I did net about 10 bull minnows at the boat launch, but we just kept them in the livewell for the early part of the day.

We had some stripped croaker also and in the lull, I had tied on a 3 oz Chartreuse Lead Head, and put on a 9 1/2" twister-tail chartreuse grub. And my buddy said, what the heck, let's try this too, while we drift. So I rigged the another rod up with a jig rig ... a giant version of what I use on the Jetties at Yorktown.

You know where this is going, right.

And on his first cast after a couple of pumps, he sets the hook, and says, "Man, this feels like the biggest flounder I've ever hooked." So I put my rod down, and get the net, and after about 3 minutes ... remember it was 45 feet of water ... I net a 25" ... 5lb flounder. It was his biggest ever. Yet another person I'm with catches their biggest flounder ever ... and I don't.

So, we said, one big fish would feed both of us, and we put it on ice, and I go to get my jig rod which has just been sitting on the bottom, and there's one on. It's only 18" but swallowed the jig, so we keep it.

We caught two more 22"ers that we tagged and released, and we ended up tagging a total of 10. Six were on jigs (all the big ones), and 4 were on the bullminnows that I decided to use by dropping over the side of the boat and fishing with a jig simultaneously.

Now I have all this 16 oz lead, and these big flounder rigs, and I get on a boat in 40+ feet of water, and catch flounder on jigs. I guess I have items for next year's yard sale. Go figure.

I know it was a boat story, but I didn't think you'd mind hearing it since we ended up using my shoreline lead-head / plastic grub techniques to catch the flounder.

THROW MORE / SOME / MOST / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
348 Posts
i love it when the locals send you buying for all the right stuff and you end up catching on the same thing you use at home! LOL, happened to me in NM on a trout fishing trip, anyone want a deal on two dozen #24 dry flies???

·
Registered
176 Posts
At least if your neighbor caught his biggest flounder then he didn't feel robbed for the cost of the boat trip.

Someday you'll get that 7-pounder!:)

By the way, what is the biggest flounder you've caught? My biggest has only been 19".

I'm still waiting to catch a flounder this year on those Cajun Croaker and Opening Nights grubs. I'm sure they'll work someday when the fish starting biting again on something near the shore!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Is that neighbor Kimoslobby? It seems the two of you were always fishing together last summer. He's not been part of your topics in awhile.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My biggest was a 24 1/2". Kimoslobby got a 25 1/2" last year, Red-Eye got a citation for his 6lb+ two-years ago, my brother, Brass Monkey, got a 25 1/2" in Frisco with me this year too, and now my neighbor got his first 25".

Kimoslobby has been housebound all summer rediscovering the joys of hanging drywall.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
ACE,

Now you have a ton of paper weights!

Great report.

Missed my citaion @ 6 1/2 lbs @ Bouy 36A.Hit on Bluefish belly and freshly brine menhaden.Hooked simultaneously 6#,and
6 3/4 #.

Biggest flounder caught on the surf 2003:22 inches @ Chesapeake Beach.

I have yet to go to the dark side(boating)-but do keep seperate
tackle cases for the boat and surf.I think I own a least 100 lbs of lead....So if I ever get lead poisoning.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Jake's right about hanging drywall, but he forgot to include the joys of building a walkin closet, painting, stripping hardwood floors, painting, trim work, and floor and shoe molding installation amongst the education I have recieved this summer.

In short, I'm been my wife's biatch.

Of course, Jake has dilligently sent me detailed reports concerning the hundreds of flounder he's tagged this year, which would be awesome (allowing me to live vicariously) were it not for the subtle tonal implication of his emails suggesting that I'm a suck-butt loser.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Ahh yes… Hardwood floors. My recent foray into this arena can best be described as the “Brute Force and Ignorance Method,” and left me amazed as to the utter lack of precision in the wood flooring industry.

Maybe I'm just a wuss, but operating a drum sander can best be described as a form of punishment. After the first several hours, I decided I would have never started this job if I knew what I was getting myself into. I even contemplated calling Guantanamo Bay and telling tham I found a sure-fire way to make al Quaida spill their guts. I went to bed sore and tired. The next morning I ached all over and barely crawled out of bed.

I attribute the fact that I even finished the job to large doses of Alleve. The floor looks great, however, and I can now cast my heaver 100-feet farther, but my liver is shot. Never pick a fight with a professional hardwood floor finisher.

Rich

·
Registered
57 Posts
LOL!!

After my wrestling match with the drum sander, I found Vicodan to be much more effective than Alleve.:D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts