Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For a 24mm Trigger Reel Seat?
I have talked to a bunch of people who like Rainshadows, CTS, and Lamis but would like a trigger reel seat. Why isnt fugi making these?
Is there one out there made by another company?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
I suspect there is limited applicability (need) for a trigger on larger blanks, but before I go that route I would ask, what are the advantages of a trigger over not having a trigger ? Especially as it relates to a heaver.

It's a bit of a rhetorical question, but I'd be curious to know what people's reasons for wanting them are.

The advantages of a trigger on plugging or bass rods seem obvious, less so with a heaver.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Preference...

Some people like them....I like the trigger because I am able to comfortably use my index finger as leverage so I can put more pressure on the spool with my thumb. Most WRI heavers that you see have a trigger on them. I dont think people are putting them on these rods because they look cool.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Some people like them....I like the trigger because I am able to comfortably use my index finger as leverage so I can put more pressure on the spool with my thumb. Most WRI heavers that you see have a trigger on them. I dont think people are putting them on these rods because they look cool.
I agree that most do it for a perceived "comfort" fit. In tourny casting the coaster on the bottom of a reel functions much the same as a trigger and gives your low hand leverage on the pull. However in high reel casting the top hands function is to push, and the trigger is less helpful in this aspect, and in some cases even gets in the way, I have found.

I do have them on several WRI rods- fusions and such.

The reason they are more useful in plugging is you have better control of the rod while working a lure and setting a hook, fighting a fish, etc. This is of limited use with a larger conventional reel on a heaver, where the hand is on top so the the thumb can lay line down while retrieving, making a trigger useless at this point. I'm not arguing against triggers, I use them most of the time, just find they have a much more limited role in bait fishing with conventional heaver gear.

To your original question- I know of no company that makes a trigger in a size 24.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree that most do it for a perceived "comfort" fit. In tourny casting the coaster on the bottom of a reel functions much the same as a trigger and gives your low hand leverage on the pull. However in high reel casting the top hands function is to push, and the trigger is less helpful in this aspect, and in some cases even gets in the way, I have found.

I do have them on several WRI rods- fusions and such.

The reason they are more useful in plugging is you have better control of the rod while working a lure and setting a hook, fighting a fish, etc. This is of limited use with a larger conventional reel on a heaver, where the hand is on top so the the thumb can lay line down while retrieving, making a trigger useless at this point. I'm not arguing against triggers, I use them most of the time, just find they have a much more limited role in bait fishing with conventional heaver gear.

To your original question- I know of no company that makes a trigger in a size 24.
Not perceived comfort...Actual comfort for me.
Would anybody else be interested in a size 24 reel seat?

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Team Buddhahead-- what rod is that - or more specifically what size diameter at the mounting ?

That looks like it would be a good substitute and serve as a trigger- but I'll toss out a word of caution. That is essentially a modified version of a reel clamp, and using it as the sole means of holding the reel on a rod can have disasterous results, especially on blanks with thinner walls. Whereas coasters spread the pressure outward over the reel feet, that acts like a clamp and puts pressure over a single narrow band. As long as one does not get carried away over tightening the screws they may be all right, but at the risk of the reel not being secured tightly enough to keep it from moving around.

I have seen pics of rods, such as the HDX- where the butt was completely destroyed from improper use of a reel clamp.

Jebson38 - to your original question- I don't know why they don't at least offer a trigger seat in size 24, at least the option should probably be offered.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'd be interested to know if we contacted someone like Mudhole, or another group that actually manufactures these things to see if they would make one. I know Batson has the ability to manufacture them. These guys are usually pretty receptive when it comes to input from their customers.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
I'm really (really really) not crazy about Batson's reel seats, but it's an option. I'd love to get a Fuji seat myself with a trigger to try it out on a heaver if they were available.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just talked to Anglers Resource-Fuji

They sometimes will do OEM product designs like this. However they usually require 15,000-20,000 units.

Dont think I could afford that or ever sell that many.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just got off the phone with Batson

They were more receptive. I said that a lot of people love trigger reel seats but size ends at 22 and a 22 does not fit any of their surf blanks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Trigger Seats

I use coasters on my surf rods and find the knob on the back coaster acts as a 'trigger'.

I have seen somewhere in my travels where someone had bent a piece of metal and placed it between the clamp and the blank to serve as a trigger. It worked! JMHO C2

1 - 20 of 22 Posts