Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
You can do what Gilly did for a temp fix, and it may hold, but the ideal thing to do would be to replace the guide. I'd hate to hang a big drum or striper and have the ring pop out mid-fight only to lose the fish.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
If you're in a jam you can replace the guide or reuse the old one and wrap with just about any thread you can find and put clear fingernail polish over it, it will hold long enough to get the guide replaced correctly.

I always have some black thread and clear fingernail polish in the tackle bag along with a few tips and rod tip glue for quick field repairs if necessary.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies

It's like the 3rd or 4th guide from the tips. I was wiping of the wax from the rod and guides, when I noticed the ring was loose and it will pop out.

I guess I have a winter project to attempt.

Never did this before; but, I have all the equipment to do it, my father started to wrap his own fresh water trout and walleye rods many years ago and since he passed away and since am the only son that still fishes, my Mom gave me his equipment and a few blanks.

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Never did this before; but, I have all the equipment to do it, my father started to wrap his own fresh water trout and walleye rods many years ago and since he passed away and since am the only son that still fishes, my Mom gave me his equipment and a few blanks.
It's a slippery slope! :p Next thing you know you'll have about 40 rods in your garage that you built! :D

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
And another 50 that you've stripped stuff off to use on something else:fishing:
If I'm not on a walk(or bike) to the fishing spot, I always carry a container full of rings, whipping thread, and a few reel spares and tools. Before you know it, every rod you own is a custom to some degree:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts