Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am just flat out disappointed with the fishing at Myrtle Beach. This area has nice piers but I cannot catch anything here.

I fished Pier 14 Monday and Tuesday evening at high tide and Springmaid tonight at high tide. I have not caught a single fish and have had maybe 4 bites in 3 days. I have seen maybe 12 or so fish caught by other people all week and nothing nice, maybe 5 to 8 or so 1 pound trout, 1 sting ray and a few spot and a couple of blues. I have fished with shrimp, cut bait, small dead herring, fish bites and even tried Gulp sand fleas and no success.

Is anyone having any luck?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Depends what one calls luck....as long as I don't get skunked I consider it a good day...Just from my experience I agree the fishing is slow down here.

There is a saying..like...10%of the fishermen catch 90%of the fish...I believe that saying....The 10% of the fishermen are experienced anglers who know when and where to fish the piers and surf..

I hope someday I can become one of the 90%club..:):fishing:

·
Registered
750 Posts
tadpole1, dont beat yourself up or give up. i fished hog inlet at cherry grove last year about this time and the water was full of mullet. i fished pretty hard that week and natta nothing. i too was frustrated because of all the bait fish in the water and there seemed to be nothing hitting. i also thought the water temp must have been too warm and figured i was there a week too early. anyway, your not alone, just keep fishing and you will catch some fish, maybe not this week but you eventually will hook up. keep fishing:fishing:

·
Registered
682 Posts
The fishing is tricky here. I was lucky enough to meet some good guys to teach me how to catch. There are no locals that I know of that fish in Myrtle Beach. If you want to fish tomorrow or Saturday let me know because the fish are here.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I bet you gonna get em too Dan.....

I got a date with a skiff Friday morning myself :fishing:

·
Registered
682 Posts
If LR is anything like MI then you'll be better served to wait until after spot season. Somebody should tell these spot fishermen that a bag of bloodworms cost more than a box of spots ;>

You ever need somebody to help with gas and pull anchor lines then give me a holla.

Dan

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The fishing is tricky here. I was lucky enough to meet some good guys to teach me how to catch. There are no locals that I know of that fish in Myrtle Beach. If you want to fish tomorrow or Saturday let me know because the fish are here.
Hi surfsidesative,

If you were talking to me, and inviting me to fish Friday, then yes, I am willing to stay another day and fish Friday.

Let me know.

And hello Big Worm...I think I bought a Penn reel and Ocean Master from you a couple years ago didn't I. You still peddling real estate.

Jim

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Tadpole, yeas I think you did buy that combo from me. Still in working condition I hope? Yes still in Real Estate. Somebody has to be the insane one....

Dan, we need to hook up and kill some trout when it cools off on the boat. I know you got some killer holes.....

·
Registered
682 Posts
Actually Wayne has some killer holes that he was nice enough to show outfishin and I

Are you able to get any shrimp up there?

Tad- I'll fish tomorrow if you want. I wouldn't mind walking down to the rocks....

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
yeah been getting shrimp, no real big shrimp but they are still around. I will let you know if they are still there tomorrow. I have to get back to the office but I am going to make a quick morning run.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
the unusally high fall tides has had the most affect this week. 8plus ft. along with the northeaster we had, the water is still a little dirty.
i believe all along the southeast coast the mullet and shrimp are here for awhile. the shrimp will get large enough to cast from the surf to keep for eating of freezing for bait.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Tad, turn right at the garden city pier and drive till you can't drive any further. Park on dolphin st and there's a public access right there. Walk down the beach about a mile south is the murrells inlet jetty (the rocks). I'll try and get there @ around 10:30 - 11:00.

Dan 843 267 6297

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sounds good Dan.

Are you saying its a one mile walk from where I park?

I'll be there by 10:30 Friday. What about bait, what do you suggest?

My cell is 910-964-1631

Jim

·
Registered
682 Posts
Got a cast net? I'll pick up a lb of shrimp and that should be good to catch something to cut. Maybe we'll find some fleas. Grab some eagle claw 197 circles or something similar and maybe some hooks small enough for spots.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Got a cast net? I'll pick up a lb of shrimp and that should be good to catch something to cut. Maybe we'll find some fleas. Grab some eagle claw 197 circles or something similar and maybe some hooks small enough for spots.
hey, quit spot burning dan, J/K I Might see you there, on the yak....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tad, turn right at the garden city pier and drive till you can't drive any further. Park on dolphin st and there's a public access right there. Walk down the beach about a mile south is the murrells inlet jetty (the rocks). I'll try and get there @ around 10:30 - 11:00.

Dan 843 267 6297
Dan is the walk a mile from where I park?

I do not have a cast net but I can buy one at Wally World as I need one anyway.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts