Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like the shark population has risen in the past couple of years. I have never hooked so many sharks as I have in the past fishing season. Is it the population or the crazy wind direction?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Last week I went on a head boat charter out of Harrisons. I only hooked one that day about 3.5 ft, but there were 7 landed on the trip. Wasn't even fishing for them--Seems like they were hitting everything, I had lure with a squid trailer on it trying to luck up and get a keeper flounder but I caught teeth instead (not big enough to get called jaws) Threw him back to catch another day. Only one was kept on the whole trip

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
That's all I catch on bait at chic's these days. Live spot, croaker or pinfish on a fishfinder hoping for a striper by the bridge and all I get rewarded with are half eaten bait and an occassional 2' blacktip. Not complaining, it's beats no runs at all.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
How small are these sharks that people are catching up there? It sounds like people get pretty excited about catching a 3' shark. I remember going out on the Bobbi Lee about 5 years ago and everyone was all excited by what looked like a 3' thresher shark that someone caught amongst all the croaker.

·
Registered
4,413 Posts
20-36"? Hmmmm, we have a bunch of them down here in the surf cruising around amongst the swimmers. It's amazing how many are in the water with all these people and they don't even notice. Then they come up on the pier and I point out all the sharks to them, with the aid of my polarized glasses. The vast majority are blacktips, spinners or bonnetheads but there is the occasional bull or lemon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone send me a picture of a blacktip. I have been fishing in the bay near the Poquoson River inlet and we have landed a ton of sharks. Trying to get a positive ID so then I know if it is worth keeping one or not. If you don't have a good pic to send, I can send one that we have taken so you could ID it for me.

thanks

[email protected]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.