Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am new to the forum and just started fishing at Matapeake this year. I haven’t been there in the past three weeks and wanted to know has anyone been there this past week and if so what’s biting?

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Hi BDP and welcome to the forum. I don't fish Matapeake but fishing in general is way off. A few of the guys have been catching rock with a keeper here and there at Kent Narrows. I've pretty much hung up my saltwater gear for the winter and will probably just fish freshwater until spring. At least I know I can always catch crappie and maybe even a striper from Liberty.

It's nice to see another member from Baltimore. I think there are 4 or 5 of us now. What part are you from? I live in Hampden, the home of "HON".

Catman.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Catfish,
I am from northeast Baltimore not to far from Erdman and Sinclair Lane. I do quite a bit of fishing when I can around the Key bridge and always looking for new places to fish off shore. I've been to Kent Narrows however, I went out on a head boat rather than fished off the shore. I plan on trying out Point Lookout next year God willing. Thanks for the info on Kent Narrows. I was hoping to get my forty inch rockfish this year but I quess I'm going to have to waite.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BDP

Not quite, BDP was a name that my co-workers gave to me some time ago. It stands for Big Daddy Pimp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Catman,
I did some fishing at Piney Run and am interested in trying Liberty; it is not that much further from Frederick. Can you recommend any good spots in addition to Nicodemus Bridge?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
FB - one of the best places to catch crappie and some nice large mouth, I didn't know anybody fished Nicodemus Bridge. There's a spot off of Rt.32 that crosses over Liberty Res. as soon as you go over the bridge,there's parking on both sides, I'v caught some really nice bass on the left side(a little bit of a walk,down hill).TRIGGER

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Trigger...I fish both those spots at Liberty. The Rt. 32 spot is where the rock go in the winter. After you cross the bridge park on the right side. There's a fire trail you can walk back to some nice coves and you don't have to climb the darn hill. If there isn't any ice, big shinners in Jan and Feb are the ticket. I'll probably fish it a couple of times myself. In April and May that area is killer for crappie. Conowingo and Liberty is where I fished all the time prior to P&S. Back in the 70's I kept a boat both at Liberty and at Glen Cove Marina above the dam at Conowingo.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Good morning Nick, I'v been on the job since 5pm yesterday and about to head on home and then start this all over again later this evening(12hr. shifts) so when do you want to go to Liberty and catch some rock,anytime is good for me,give me a ring. Larry

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Those 12 shifts are killers but puts a smile on your face on payday.:D I'll probably wait until after the 1st of the year to hit Liberty. By then I'll be in need of a fishing fix. Nothing like fresh fish on the supper table in the winter.:)

Nick.:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Welcome BDP;I like your name.If the weather stays warm enough the Stripers could bite in Deleware for weeks.But,Liberty and Conowingo looks better I want Walleye,Striper or Crappie in the frying pan.;)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Catman where are you getting big shinners in Jan. and Feb.? Does that Shell station on Rt.26, by the second bridge, carry them?

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
catman said:
Hi
It's nice to see another member from Baltimore. I think there are 4 or 5 of us now. What part are you from? I live in Hampden, the home of "HON".

Catman.
Hah! You live right down the street from me! I'm in Mt. Washington...

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
A buddy of mine thats poorer than I am lives off Biddle Street just outside of downtown just after the bridge in East Baltimore.Nice Place.At least I have a phone he doesn't even have that.:(

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Yeah,BDP is about 4 blocks NE of that.Catman,pretty close to Druid Lake have you ever tried fishing there I hear some huge Carp are caught there.If you like Carp??

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Orest...I think that Shell station changed owners and they don't carry any of those goodies anymore. The best place to get shinners during the winter is Old Reisterstown Bait & Tackle (410-526-6500). They don't always have them so call first.If you can't find shinners use GOLD FISH . Get the ones about 4" long. They're a little more expensive but worth it.

Flea...I guess we are neighbors. I live right on Roland Avenue between 36th and 37th streets. Ever fish at Lake Roland. I know a couple of spots that consistently produce 4 - 5 lb. LM bass. That's where I go to catch bluegills to liveline for catfish at Conowingo. There's a bezillion crappie in there but none bigger than your hand. Just below the dam and past the bridge there's a nice population of SM bass. Maybe we can meet some day at the Mt. Washington Tavern.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
There's a bait shop down the road from me(Sunshine, Md.)sm.,med. and very lg. I'll check the prices tomarrow morning on my way home,hope to get some sleep this time.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome aboard BDP,

Rosedale is not too far from you either. How has the fishing been this year around the Key Bridge? I was only at Fort Armistead Park once this year, early in the summer. Also do you know if you can fish in the cove behind the MTA building - the 1st exit northbound after the toll booth?

Blue Heron

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Key Bridge Pier

Hi Blue Heron,
Fishing was OK this year but not a banner year. I caught quite a few rockfish this year but nothing over 25 inches. Blues did not run that good this year but I think that was the same all over. As far as I know the exit behind the MTA leading to the pier directly under the Key Bridge is still closed to fishing. It's a shame because there is some nice size rockfish back there.

BDP

1 - 20 of 25 Posts