Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
we've had a surge of mild weather lately, supposed to continue thru next week, that might hold or even push water temps up a bit. Probably still some trout around, kitty hawk and nags head. I got into a bunch of dink trout (10-12") on thursday, but those were well south, in Wrightsville.

·
Premium Member
10,102 Posts
i might come fish obx over christmas weekend. is it worth going or are all the fish somewhere else
Just got word,there have been some mixed trout n side of point,bunches of dinks and a couple of nice ones mixed in.... Also some big sharks.. This from a reliable source who caught a 150 dusky on a sha 30 with 14 suffix....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I live down here in Wilmington and I hear some puppy drum are showing up in the bays/sounds. Most people I hear are catching trout on shrimp around the river inlets.

I just don't get up to the OBX. But I'm sure they catch winter trout up there too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Last week was warm weather. Yesterday was tough, 34 degrees with wind chill at 27.

Water temp was 50 degrees about 300 yds n of the point at sunset.

Some skates, doggies and some big biters are to be had. There are quite a few puppies and trout caught. I've seen some keeper flounder caught at the point!

The fishing reports seem to be sparse, partially because no one is down here. My wife and I come down every year at this time for a couple of weeks, and I've never seen it this empty. Heck, a couple of days we were the only ones fishing the point at sunset!! We've looked at the N beaches a couple of times and did not see one buggy!

We've heard of a few stripers N of Nags Head, and some off the catwalk at OI. None south.

Pups, trout and some black drum. Come and get 'em!

vballmike

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I plan on dropping down for the next few days. Like everyone says, you don't know what you'll catch until you come. There's always the chance of lucking into a striper or bluefish blitz, and there are usually trout and some straggler puppy drum around.

But the coolest thing is just being down there in the middle of winter when all that's left is locals and fishermen. Things are quieter, slower and a lot more relaxing than at any time of the year. Not mention hotels are a lot cheaper. It's my favorite time to visit.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Some biters eh? I bet taters shoulders are wore out! Hope yall had a good Christmas Kenny! I can't believe it's 12/28 and I'm sitting here at work in shorts! I love it.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Hi y'all! I am new to P&S, looks like fun. I like all kinds of fishing, but especially like surf fishing. I have an old rusty 4WD and regularly haunt Atlantic Beach.
beach bum
Welcome beach bum, you'll enjoy the site. You may want to start your own itro thread so it doesn't get lost in this thread.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.