Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a pic of IRI on January 18th, 2003 when HuskyMD and I fished it. Notice the birds diving for baitfish on top. They were just out of reach!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Man I don't see no birds in that pic. You guys must have been so cold you were hallucenating!!;) Axon and I joined you guys a few weeks later and we about froze our butts off!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I must agree I don't see any birds it must have been REALLY cold that day you guys are better than me if I see snow I don't fish unless I see a blitz.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
ice on line

It was neat to see the ice coming off the line as the line touched the level wind on my conventional reel.
Had a heck of a breakfast afterwards.
The birds are tough to see in that picture...at the end of the jetty there's a bunch of stuff in the sky and they are birds. Picture doesn't really show it. Believe it or not the birds were slamming the water. Maybe just cause the wind was so strong they couldn't fly!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: ice on line

HuskyMD said:
...The birds are tough to see in that picture...at the end of the jetty there's a bunch of stuff in the sky and they are birds. Picture doesn't really show it. Believe it or not the birds were slamming the water. Maybe just cause the wind was so strong they couldn't fly!

The gulls got lost when I had to lower the resolution for posting on this site.

HuskyMD - I remember what a sight that was! Hundreds of gulls slaying baitfish at the North jetty. Too bad they were out just out of casting range.

Building a new rod this Winter that will enable me to sling metal forever and not let this happen to me again!

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Why did you guys go down there?a waste of time;no fish

To be honest with you I don't think theres anything bittting at IRI this time of year except for Shad,Herring,and if your lucky a 30" lone Striper.Its best to wait until March to fish there;when they start to invade the waters.The Tog will be there arround that time too but they might be sluggish but they will bite.But,its not the catching;its just being there though.I hope you guys bundled up.;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Wintertime the birds are feeding on grass shrimp.
I have tried all kids of lures with little success.If the
shad are in there feeding on the shrimp you can catch
them and live-line them for Mr.Saxitalis

Now in the fall if you see gannets diving thats a different story

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Re: Why did you guys go down there?a waste of time;no fish

HaPPyPapPy832443 said:
To be honest with you I don't think theres anything bittting at IRI this time of year except for Shad,Herring,and if your lucky a 30" lone Striper.Its best to wait until March to fish there;when they start to invade the waters.The Tog will be there arround that time too but they might be sluggish but they will bite.But,its not the catching;its just being there though.I hope you guys bundled up.;)
HappyPappy,

1. Stay home and leave the fishing to us. ;)

2. Some people will not go fishing until they hear about it on the web or one of their buddies lets them in on the bite. They must wait until fish are positively confirmed out there before they venture out into the cold, rain, or wind.

3. I (and others) like to go out there and try to find out where the fish are, what they are hitting, and catch them. Oh yeah, don't expect me to post when, where, and how I catch the fish - just wait until someone else lets you know when they are biting.

4. Don' t expect others to clue you in the bite - By that time it is too late.

5. As quoted from SOL, maybe you're a Homer:

"Homer-(n): A fisherman/woman who won't even bother to leave their homes without verified and confirmed reports of at least 3 previous days of blitzing fish. They also need to know exactly where, exactly when, and exactly what to throw....if you could put their feet in your old boot prints, it would be appreciated. Needless to say, Homers don't fish much ;-)"

6. Get out there and fish! :)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Ron,
Was that picture of the South or North? Looks kind of slick with the snow. haven't been able to make it down since December 6..sure do miss it..good news is that Mom and Dads new house is on schedule and we should be in by early March..it's gonna be a great year..Liam and I have some new lures to try...Santa brought him so cool stuff namely a 7' Tica with a Penn 4500SS for those 1-3 oz plastics, tin , and topwaters that he loves to throw. Glad to see you got out last weekend. Murph:)

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was great getting back to AI...

Murph,

Picture was of the North Jetty. If you want, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send some other IRI photos to you.

Glad to see the house is on track...Liam should be driving you crazy with all his new stuff and I bet he is just itching to try it all!

Getting a little colder now but I'm always ready to pack my stuff and go...

Can't wait! I need a 4X4 now!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
You the man Sandcrab!!! I couldn't have said it better myself. As long as there is a report of some kinda life out there, I'm there. To be honest, I'd rather hear reports that fishing has been slow or is starting to pick up then they are being slayed because most reports are usually a few days up to a week old. Perfect example is the tog trip in DE. The reports were terrible for tog fish for a month before the charter. The captain had crabs that were a month old due to the fact that the weather had been so bad and the striper fishing had been so good. Since we all agreed that we really wanted to do some tog fishing, we went ahead and did some toggin', and we did really well. All of us and the captain were really pleased that we were able to get into some tog. We lucked out and got into some nice fish. I'd rather fish when the reports have been on the slow side or really rough weather. All the good trips that I have had in 2003 were in the worst conditions.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Don't know, said before and I'll say again, it AIn't just about the fishing. The way I look at it, it is cheaper than a shrink (sorry doc, check is in the mail), better than sitting at home, and if on the beach, and nothing biting, ya got two ways to go (I go both), ride the beach and learn, or sit and contemplate, and realize what ya got, not what you're not getting or don't already have. Honestly, been known to not have Jeep loaded with my gear, get the itch, and drive the beach, and as with the question Monty Python nevered really answered, search for the meaning of life. Fishing, it AIn't life, but it may just help you enjoy it more, and if nothing else, sit back, relax, and be who you are.

I'm running out of my 2 cents.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Maybe I am a Homer,I won't even try somthing new or diffrent unlesss I see somone catch a fish.I wan't be absolutly sure I'm not frezzing my but off just to catch nothing.But I'll say it again its not the catching its just being out there.;) Enough said.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts