Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE DETAILS OF THE 'WHITE WORM'-BUCKTAIL RIG FOR FISHING IRI? I'LL BE THERE IN EARLY JUNE AND WOULD LIKE TO MAKE UP SOME RIGS.WHAT EXACTLY IS THE 'WHITE WORM'?,FIN-S,BASS ASSASSIN,ETC?.ALSO,WHAT ARE THE MEASUREMENTS IE- TERMINAL TO HOOK,TERM TO BUCKTAIL,ETC. ALSO WHAT SIZE HOOKS? I USE GAMU'S.THANKS

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
FYI - Using all CAPS means that you are shouting at us. ;)

The bucktail/white worm rig that I use is made like this:

Attach a 1 to 2 oz keel-type or inline trolling sinker to your main line end snap.

Next I cut a piece of 50 lb leader material to 24". To one end of this I tie a 50 lb test swivel with a cinch knot (my favorite). The other end is attached to the bucktail via a loop knot or king sling knot which is explained in the How To section on this site under knots.
http://www.pierandsurf.com/knots/kingsling.shtml

The bucktail should not be any larger than 1/2 ounce on which I attach a 4" white rubber worm. Yellow worms are popular too. Any color can be used. I heard of some using pink for trout.

Attach the swivel to your mainline snap and you are ready to rock-n-roll.

For my setup, I try to make sure that my keel weight and lure weight total does not exceed 2 ounces as that is my rods limitation. I have seen others with a 2 ounce keel and a 1/2 ounce bucktail.

Bottom line - the smaller the bucktail, the more action it will have behind the keel weight drifting in the 7 MPH current at IRI.

Hint - To increase your chances of a hookup with the elusive cow bass at IRI, don't fish with HuskyMD. ;)

·
Registered
680 Posts
the setup you want is like sc said. i use 20# power pro with a #7 coast lock swivel i usually use a 1/2 oz. bucktail with a curly tail worm in clear water use white, cloudy use yellow, night black. these are suggestions. to the bucktail attach a 20-30 in. leader. this yiu tie to an inline sinker. the current decides which weight you use.in line sinkers are best.my preference for leader is if you use 20# line, use 15-17# leader. reason, if you get hung up the leader will break before the line. when you fish IRI make sure you have at least 1/2 doz. bucktails,the rocks eat them up.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info sc & br.Sorry I didnt mean to yell[Iwasnt].I would never yell at you guys, I respect your opinions too much! Thanks again - I'll let you know how I make out-will avoid Husky aac [at all cost]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts