Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the nourtside at IRI yesterday started out fishing near the bridge and caught 4 Bergals or Cunners(a bottom fish that look like smalll Tog) on Green Crab.I wanted to go on the handicap pier because its a real hot spot.It was crowed so I fished about near the corner area just up from that.I caught a 15 3/4" Tog on Green Crab missed a bunch of good fish and caught a 12" herring on Green Crab too:eek: .Ive seen alot of Tog caught off the handicap pier but 70% of them were throwbacks.Only fished the handicap pier for 30 minn then I packed up and went home.I was there from 8am-6pm yesterday and one Tautog for the frying pan and Herring for Striper bait later on.At least I got a keeper no throwbaks after losing 65 rigs.:cool:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
IRI Stripers or Blues

Pappy,
Nice report! Did you see any stripers or blues caught? Lost some rigs eh! I guess you'll be doing some tying this week..I'm planning on going down that way again next Sat..if I don't go to Lewes to CHP might hit IRI or the surf..we'll see how the week progresses..did you keep the Bergal or Cunner..are they edible? How was the fight from both? See anyone catch a trout? I would just like one keeper trout this year..I wish I could get down to CHP at night in the middle of the week..need to work something out with the wife and work!:)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Was on the north rocks Saturday from 3 - 9, just shy of the jetty and landed 6 throwbacks and 1 keeper tog.:) Lost 6 rigs before dark. Stayed for high tide to try my had at rocks but to no avail did not get any just lost another 6 rigs trying. As expected the hottest fishing was during the slack tide. Green crab was the bait of choice.

I saw something that really bothered :mad: me which was a guy leaving the inlet with 2 two dink tog probably in the 11 inch range.

Can't wait for the surf to light up like the inlet has, that will be fun. :)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
AI is Assateague Island near Ocean City.:)

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
I'll be there...

I will be fishing the North Jetty Sunday morning before the sunrise. I may see you guys there.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Theres alot of punk Blues 8-14" and some Herring mixed in.I wounder if Big Stripers were eating them Herring.Lossing alot of rigs isn't bad its a part of Tog fishing ;I tie a dropper loop,loop a 2/0 beak hook,tie on a sanp swievel,put on a sinker,and bait up with green crab.I was also using a 5' shock leader of 80-100lb test mono too.Rigging doesn't take too mutch time for me.Tog fishing is hard but fun.;)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Punk Blues

I also had a lot following my cut bait as I was reeling in on Saturday..they were small..8" ..just enough fight in em' to shake your rod tip!:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tried Tog fo the first time

I had Fried Tautog the other day and it was every bit as good as Fluke(Flounder).Its alot more moist than Flounder.It has the same flavor as a Walleye.This year I atleast got a keeper compared to getting fish a half inch short like in past years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts