Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the nerve to try IRI agin;most of the time I fish it during the fall for Stripers and Tog.Sumertime is the best there.I went there yesterday;got there at 10am and got alot of Blues at high tide by the Coast Guard Station on a small bucktail ahead of a 2oz trolling sinker I cuaght 5 Blues until I lost half of my rod:mad: .Once the tide went out I tried for Flounder by the jetty on the Oceanside;got a 17 3/4" and another small one.I missed several bites but almost caught another.For the Flounder I was using minnow/squid on a carolina wide gap rig with a 1/8-1/2 oz sinker;fishing it 10ft within the rocks.I saw some Tog,Striper,and a possible Weakie(didn't get a good enough look).I left at 8pm;it was Damn good fishin ;) for this year.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah,I also hooked a big Skate(Cownose Ray);but that doesn't count.I hope to get back down there on Sunday;It wasn't too crowed on Thursday.I hope its the same on Sunday.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IRI isn't bad

I went fishing yesterday at IRI from10am-7pm;tried for Flounder w/ minnows/squid and didn't get any.Then,I tied soaking Peeler crab on a 5/0 circle hook fish-finder rig and just when I was going to get skunked I hook up with a 11lb 28" Black Drum.I was fishing on the North Jetty all day.What a fight;What a catch!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Sweet catch Pappy

That was great catch to end your day. Congrats:D

MC

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Or when you casted your rod came apart and the line broke and your top half of the rod went a flying:p Trust me I have seen this before!:D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Pappy did you catch the black drum in the pocket or on the inlet side?
I have been jonesing to go to the inlet for quite some time but my wife is due 8/7 (my 3rd daughter) so I havent been goin far from home.
Thats the reason for my lack of reports this year
But come fall................

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Welcome back Doverpower! Congrats on the upcoming new edition! Can't wait for the fall and see some of your reports. I am going to try and make it out there this year and will like to hook up with you a few times. Hopefully between you and shaggy you guys can get me hooked into some monster striper!:D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FL Fisherman,Husky my line snapped and half of my rod came flying with it.I cuught my Drum on My 10ft Tica Conventional that can handle 6 n bait,and I caught him more towards the Inlet side,Towards the end.I can't wait to catch more Drum in the future.:cool:

·
Registered
680 Posts
i see a lot of people say monster striper. what is considered a monster? i never heard that term before i came onto this board. i fish IRI a lot , and have caught a lot of rock there , but i never heard them called monsters. i'm just curious.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey BillR

A monster Striper is considered to be a striper thats been "HUGIFIED" by Years of growth. Or you can look at it like this. Its one of those Big early season stripers you the guys on the boats catching. Thats just my thoughts..........Tight Lines

Hugified - Increasing in size over a period of time.

That's my definition...

MC

·
Registered
680 Posts
hi M. C.i'm not making fun or anything like that. i rarely fish there from a boat. i have fished in IRI since the early forties. in those days we fished with live squid. in that period of time i have caught rock from 1-44 lbs. but mever heard them called monsters. times change in 60+ years.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Since we catch dinky 20"ers

anything around 40 inches would be a monster by my definition.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hey BillR

I know what you mean. I call them monsters because i have never caught one over 23"during the season. The striper the guy caught at Assateague Island this year was considered a monster. That bad mister was some kind of record. But like Husky said we rarely catch anything in the 30" and up range so those would be considered monsters...........Tight Lines

MC

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Having only caught two strippers that big, anything over 30" is a monster to me. Heck, right about now any keeper would be considered a monster. The regulars on the TidalFish forum consider anything 40" and over to be a trophy rock. 39" is good but no cigar. I hope we all get a trophy rock this fall.:D

Catman.:)

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Amen catman!:D

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any Striper over 30" long is considered a big Striper which is a monster in some guys books.A Striper 40" or more is a monster to me.Hey even my 35"er that I caught earlier in the year is a monster;it was a couple ounces away from MD ciatation size.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts