Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan on fishing the IRI jetty Saturday morning before the sun comes up. Anyone want to join me? I don't have a PFD so I will not venture to the jetty end. Korkers, rain gear,and a headlamp a must...

Travel light...

·
Registered
50 Posts
What time do you plan on getting there - high tide is 2:40 AM on Sat.

My son-in-law and I are planning to be there on Sat also - so maybe we can meet up. You going for the stripers only or stripers and tog?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The early bird gets the worm...

I usually like to arrive two hours prior to a high tide...however, by fishing at night, the tide is not really that much of an influence as I have caught stripers on the incoming high and low tide..

Darkness rules on the jetty! ;)

Stripers only....

·
Registered
50 Posts
The other one I'd expect to be there is BillR - at the clean up he was saying he planned on a lot of fishing at IRI in a week or two - which would be this weekend.

So whaaat's up Billr:eek:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
North Jetty

Was reading a report on another board..said that waves were crashing over the North Jetty on Friday 10/10/03..any of you heard the same thing..maybe heading down to IRI and Del surf this weekend. Let me know if any of you are going..do have 4 wheel permit and have room for at least three or four in the suburban...tight lines to all! Murphman:)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
IRI Jetty and Inlet

Murphman.

I'll be fishing the jetty in the darkness and the inlet for a couple of hours of daylight. Lure fishing only...

Now if the "Chomper" blues are hitting at 3R's, I'll grab my waders and stop visit ya!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
That is very true about that report murphman. Anthony and I were there saturday and sunday and the waves were so big and the wind was so strong that there was no jetty on the north side!:eek: It was completely swamped with water by breaking waves. It should be ok now because by sunday afternoon the waves were smaller and the wind died down and you could actually see a good portion of the jetty.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I'll keep you posted Sandcrab..weekend trip is weather permitting..meaning not fishing in any " sideway falling rain" Need to coordinate with wife to try to get away without Liam, need to do some serious fishing without worrying about him..don't want to lose my favorite fishing partner, but sometimes dad needs a break..send me a pm with your details as the week progresses and I'll do the same. Tight lines To All! Murphman:)

·
Registered
680 Posts
the jetty is there today, but the beach is the question mark. there is very little at high tide. also, there is another tournament this weekend. it is only to go to the north jetty, but with the deminishing supply of beach, it could change.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Billr

Is anything happen at Masseys? If the inlet is a wash for Saturday is it worth it to try Massys?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gosh - Darn! Another tournament?

Billr said:
...there is another tournament this weekend...
What time does it start? I'll be in by 2 AM and out by 8 AM. Do you foresee anyone in the tournament fishing the jetties in the early AM hours before it starts?

Appreciate all info BillR - Last thing I want is to travel 2+ hours only to find out the jetty is swamped with people. :mad: I can get there earlier if needed...

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings All!

Ed and I stopped at Old Inlet B&T on Sunday. the "word" was only five fish entered as of that morning for the surf tournament. The inlet itself looked "dirty", so I imagine the surf was liquid sand.

There were a lot of lure chuckers at the inlet Sunday, especially towards sunset. Only saw one fellow with a swimming plug. Everyone else was using some sort of bucktail/trailer combo. Didn't see any fish caught....

Re: big blues. One fellow copmlained that he was at the inlet last weekend, only hooked one snapper blue that came in bit in half. He thought shark, but I think it was probably a chopper, or (dare I say it) slammer blue. Didn't see any indication of any size blue moving through the inlet Sunday. Birds were working around the bridge abutment closest to the south jetty, but they may have been picking baitfish out of the eddy. Didn't see any airborne baitfish or swirls....

Front went through Sunday night, and Monday the wind was "howling" at the Econo lodge parking lot, so we didn't even bother going to IRI.

Hope you guys have better luck this week. If you're going togging, take sand fleas or at least green crabs.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Hey Jake,
How did you and Ed do at IRI? Did you see any more tog being caught? Also did you ever make it to Cape Henelopen?
-Anthony

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Massey's Tog

Lakeside: I was down last weekend, did not get to fish..had to help my dad clean out his old place one last time before he gets the new one..I stopped Rick's B&T for some terminal tackle..Dick said that they have been catching a few keeper tog and some short stripers.I may go back that way tis weekend if the inlet and or beach are not fishable. Tight Lines To All! Murphman:)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Truck Problems;extremly mad

I tried to go to IRI;but my truck broke down before the Bay Bridge this morning.Pice of Crap;I wounder if I'll do any fishing soon:mad: :mad:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings Anthony!

You saw how we made out under the "Supertrip" post, so I won't bother repeating.

After you guys left the tide was really racing, and it was impossible to fish that spot. Even the guys up at the outside bend weren't having much luck, and most of the fish they brought in went back. The guy with the big ol' rope stringer had at least four keepers when he left. All looked nice -- long and heavy bodied. Some of them might have been near the three pound mark. A lot of the "corner boys" headed down towards the ocean when the tide got really low. Ed walked down but didn't see anything big caught, just a few throwbacks. Ed noticed that a lot of the fishermen that were above us put their trash in the park bags, but left the bags tied to the railings when they left. He also noticed that there were no trash cans (unless you count the dumpsters and recycling bins at the park entrance.) I think I saw a sign at the entrance that said something about carrying your trash out (which Ed and I did - all the way back to Econo Lodge.)

It seems like the outside bend is the hotspot, probably due to the eddy it forms on the outgoing tide. Some of those guys were casting 20-30 feet out from the rocks and getting snagged, so the bottom must be pretty rough there. Ed was casting out at our spot, and even though he was getting hits and loosing bait, he didn't get a single fish. But he only lost one rig, and one of the laws of tog fishing says that if you're not loosing rigs, you're not where the fish are.

Ed was pretty beat Monday morning (he claims I kept him awake with my snoring.) He didn't want to do the inlet again, and I figured Henlopen would be windy. The surf reports at Old Inlet didn't help either. We ate breakfast and started back to Philly, so I ended up with three fish in 2.5 days -- no keepers.

Ed and I have a sea bass trip coming up, so I'll get plenty of cranking in then. I also think I'll try the T-Jetty (NJ) on Saturday, and maybe a trip to the 'tank on the 25th. Maybe we'll cross paths there....

·
Registered
680 Posts
the tour. is surf fishing. they are not allowed to fish the jetty. it should be a good weekend. i hope it is also a good one in crisfield.:cool: :cool:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts