Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Hear they are still taking stripers on the bucktail/worm combo but they are few and far in between. Water temps is still in the 40's and the stripers have not moved in yet. Also, some reports of tog being taken on the North side jetty area.

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Any of you IRI regulars know when the tog fishing picks up? I'm not going to drive from Baltimore just for stripers but I will for tog. I can catch all the stripers I want within a 15 minute drive but tog fishing really floats my boat. I know the real good tog fishing at OC inlet doesn't happen until the fall but don't know about IRI. When the bite is on at OC I usually spent the whole weekend and check in at the Talbot Inn. Any input appreciated.

Catman.

·
Registered
680 Posts
catman. tog are slow as yet. the tackle shops didn,t have crabs[live] as of sat. the only rock so far was on sat.[31 in.] and he did hit crab[frozen]. the water was 44 deg. i am a DMS. mem. and we assisted,as every year] in the grass planting. it's done in march each year.tog could be any time. a friend is coming down for a day this week and he will try for them. i'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Is it catch and release for stripers at Delaware also?

Can someone show me the link to delaware regulations?

Thank you,
John

·
Registered
680 Posts
as it stands now. the regs will be the same as last year. 1-24: to 28" and 1 over 28"this is the daily bag limit. there is no catch and release.

·
Registered
680 Posts
catman. as i said i'd let you know. yesterday [3-25-03] no tog, used clams. 3-4 rock caught. on mon. 3 rock and 1 flounder. in del. there may be a change in the trout regs.there was a meeting last week and the regs. will soon be out. probably a 13" min. with a limit of8/day. because of the bay the regs on trout will most likely be the same as n.j. for myself i will keep 12/yr. 18" min. the rest i will release.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
From the IRI web report:

"The long awaited start of the fishing season finally happened over the weekend. Amazing what a little warm weather will do.

Tony Torres, of Clarksville, MD, brought in the first striped bass of the season Saturday morning. The 27 inch striper hit a piece of green crab. Tony was fishing for tautog on the rockpile. Certainly a pleasant surprise.

Numerous stripers were reported over the weekend. Most were caught on red and white bucktails. The south rockpile was a frequently mentioned hotspot.

Old Inlet employee, Bud (Precious) Robinson, posted the first striped bass in the 2003 Old Inlet Striped Bass Contest. Bud's entry weighed in at 12 pounds 1 ounce.

Perhaps the biggest news came in this morning when Jim Winnerling (Old Inlet's resident rod repair expert) check in a 19 and half inch summer flounder. Jim said the flattie took a bucktail while he was fishing for stripers in the inlet.

The flounder season is open and is not scheduled to close during the 2003 season. The minimum size remains at 17 and half inches with a 4 fish a day limit."

·
Registered
7,081 Posts
Billr..Thanks for the update. I can't wait until some tog move in on a regular basis. I enjoy eating the fish I catch and IMHO tog rank at the top for inshore saltwater fish.

Nice report Sandcrab. That 19 1/2" flounder ain't too shabby.

Catman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts