Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...I had been dying to catch a skate for the first time all this week. After today I am not sure if i want to catch one for a while! lol..I cant tell you how many times they snapped our lines, but in all between me, a new friend and 3 girls we caught more than 20 skates. The biggest one I caught was almost 14lbs on a hand scale (we were just interested in how much it would weigh). They sure are some nasty critters!

Some of them had elongated ovals near their tails...is that thier balls?
Also what is the difference between a skate and a sting ray. Do they really shock people with electricity like a few people told me?

Interesting and fun to catch at first. I was lookin for something to eat tonight, but the skates wouldn't leave us alone. Its been 2 days now that they have been biting like this.

I am interested to hear what you guys have to say about skates so holla!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not sure about the shocking people thing, but I know there barbs right below there back on the tail. You don't what that to close to you. Also a woman once told me that you can eat skates, but stingrays are a bloody mess and they don't good table fair.

·
Registered
500 Posts
There are rays will shock you. Had the pleasure of stepping on one at the beach in Pensacola. Gave me a nice jolt.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard that skates can be eaten if you cut off the wings and then use a cookie cutter to make "scallops" with them. Anyone tried them?

I think I will pass.

·
Registered
290 Posts
The Skate, probably a “Clearnose Skate” has numerous spines running along the back and down its tail.

The Rays, probably a “Southern Stingray” has a long whiplike tail with a single barb near the base.

The skates won’t shock you; neither will the rays, but if that ray sinks that spine in ya you might feel like shooting yourself. The spine is slightly toxic and has many little barbs on it, like a hooks barb but lots more.
:eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts