Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
size limit increase from last year. Logic dictates that more 17+in. fish will be caught this year, like what happened in Delaware last year after their increase two years ago.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Im hell bent on getting my 1st flounder citation this summer, by boat or by pier and surf.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'd like to get a citation this year too, and either this year or the next may be the year that we're going to weigh in A BUNCH OF THEM.

I'm thinking like Kimoslobby (ugghghgh) in that with the 17 1/2" min size, that a fish at 17" that was a throwback last year ... grows about 3" a year ... from our tagging data.

That makes her a 20" this year, and a 23" next year, and then she's starting to get close to Citation Size.

THROW MORE BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i can deal with 17.5 inches, what sucks is that in nc only 12 miles from sandbridge you kan keep 15inchers, then theres the commies, i mean the commercial fishermen, who get to keep anything

R

·
0 Posts
yeah there aint no way in hell that a recreational fisherperson can go out and do the damage they do i say it should be left to decide by the fisherman and for the fisherman :confused: REAL CLICKER

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
i will make one other comment that is the menhaden fishery, if that could be closed for one or two years, we would have fantastic flounder and striper fishing. but hey how can you blame them there getting 2 whole cents for every pound!

·
Registered
239 Posts
:mad: Absolutely. The menhaden fleet pulls up all the good stuff also, and you think they report it? If they pull up a school of feeding striper, it all gets ground up for catfood because 1)It's dead and 2) they don't want it on the books. They also use planes to spot the schools. I don't know why the crab-dredgers are even still alowed to operate. As far as N.C. is concerned, they are the worst state for regs. The good-ole boys arent about to let someone tell them when to fish for striper They just fish every other day (not including weekends, of course). The flounder have been hurt so bad that they were forced to put out a moratorum for a few months last year (the wine flowed of the messageboards). Now everything is fine, and the flounder can be taken at 15 inches, no problem. ever wonder what happened to the big blues? Well I am of the belief that they were ground up into catfood for .02 a pound as well. They were never really protected, not being highly prized as food. I think the bay has been raped over the last 30 years. Yea I can still go out and fill a cooler of croaker or 14 inch trout, but ive got fear that I may be telling my grandkids about it like these were the golden days. If it were up to me all trawling and commercial fishing would be stopped. :eek: Boy oh boy, I've done it now. I'll be getting some nasty feedback on that one. :rolleyes:Commies :mad:Bring it on, folks!

Denial-A river that runs into the Chesapeake Bay!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
yea one other story, my old boss's family is from knots island. her brothers are crab dregers in the curratuck sound, last fall she said they were getting a 10,000 lb by catch every week composed of black drum and flounder some very large, she's like i can get you lots of fish for dirt cheap, I was like what about crabs, she says yea they have a few?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am glad you agree. Look, I should apologize for my little tirade. This was supposed to be about citation flounder, not my views about politics.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts