Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to get a multi-piece surf rod and reel for travel. They don't need to be a combo and I could pull a reel off of one of my existing setups. The main thing I want that I don't have now is something I can break down into shorter sizes. I presently have a 9 foot 2 piece rod that I use in the surf, and a 1 piece custom 10 foot rod for shark. I'd like something in the 9-12 foot range, preferably 4 piece, or at least 3, for break-down for convenient travel. For 15 - 30 pound test line, throwing 1 - 4 oz weight. I'm inclined to get one for pairing with a conventional reel, though spinning is ok. High quality. Recommendations? I'll be fishing the Pacific coast of the U.S.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Howdy!

Check Amazon for "Travel Surf Rod" and there's be a number of China Fiblink and Berrypro rods that'll pop up that are all under $70 - I have 5 of these rods in both spinning and casting and I've beat 3 of them up over the last 3 years: cheap price, but good worthy stuff, no issues. You'll also find Daiwa travel surf rods, both spin and cast, in the $107-$195 dollar range, too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I will second Fiblink rods. I do not have one of their surf rods but have a 4 piece 7 foot medium spinning rod suitable for inshore species like speckled trout puppy drum etc
Used it on a recent trip to FL to cach mangrove snappers off a dock
Was very happy with it
Excellent value and held up well

·
Registered
45 Posts
I will also vouch for Fiblink rods as well!
At the recommendation of BeachBob, I have a 4pc 12’ Sapphire conv. that’s rated 4-8oz with an Abu 5500 loaded with 40pd pp super slick behind the seat of my truck at all times!
Amazing how far I can throw 2-3oz pencils/plugs with this set-up,even with level wind. A few times this year, I was able to break that set up out when I least expected and score a couple nice fish!

EA

1 - 4 of 4 Posts