Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Insulated Coveralls for winter pier, land, and boat wear

I'm in need of tips on coverall brands, material makeup, etc..........
They will be used on pier, land, and boat only. Not for wading use.

Need a one piece to cover neck to ankles. Something that's warm with a comfortable fit. Needs to be roomy in the chest area.:rolleyes: I'll be pairing them with a loose insulated yet light weight parka.

The only limitations to the coveralls is that there is no wool or wool fibers whatsoever. I'm allergic to that stuff. Just want something that is easy to care for and keeps me warms.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Buy yourself a pair of Carharts

They'll last you forever. Just make sure when you wash them you go to the laundry mat. They can get really dirty after a weekend of fishing. Your wife will apreciate it.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah, You can't beat Carhart

I like the insulated "bibs" with a Parka over top.

The "coverall" style bites me in a very delicate place.

That's just a personal preference.

Either way, you'll love em' when the wind blows.

·
Registered
215 Posts
A few years back I got the bibs and jacket from lowes of all places

they were having a sale, and you couldn't beat the price. I was surprised to find them to be as good at the carharts, plus I was able to get them in a really dark blue. They had a few different colors. I know what you mean about the one piece hitting a delicate area. Plus, with the two piece you can take the jacket off if you get too warm.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

I think the bib overall will be more comfortable. Nothing worse than having something too binding when you're gonna be out there for a while. Wouldn't want to cut my circulation off. Gotta breathe you know.

What price should I look at having to pay for Carharts? What's too high?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Mine cost me $100 (bibs) and if I should go fishing this Thursday nite they will be with me just incase. TRIGGER:D Gotta stay warm. Do you know after a certin time there's no one to talk to,this shift bites.:barf:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Thrifty Angler...you can get the bibs for $72.00 Carhartt Insulated Bibs and the insulated coat for $87.00 Carhartt Insulated Coat from Sacks Dept. Store on line. That's where I bought mine, couldn't find it any cheaper. I bought the hood for the coat but never use it. I'd rather wear a hooded sweatshirt underneath. Make sure you buy 2 sizes larger than you normally wear. Hope this helps.

Trigger...At least you're getting some bites.:D

Catman.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Thrifty....The 1st set I bought was the size I would normally wear in a coat and pants. They fit but since I figured I'd be doing a lot bending and such a larger size would be better so I went up 2 sizes and it worked out perfectly other than the bibs being a little long.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
catman ha ha ha ha lol, planning on hittin the point wed. nite, bad weather acomin for Thursday through the weekend.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Don't have to worry about the weather until next Mar 15th. The marina called today saying they want to haul the boat this Saturday morning instead of next weekend. Something about a problem with space allocation. Guess I'll just have to put the coveralls on and fish from terra firma.:D

Catman.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So far

all responses to this thread are Pa and Md folks. You all have some brutal winter weather indeed there. I ask though, "are the insulated Dickies brand overalls and coveralls similar in workmanship and performance to the Carrharts ones?"

Big difference in price........Would be good to be able to buy 2 for the price of one ..... the second pair for my teenage "American Express" of course.

How about some input from some Va locals who have used the Dickies brand. How do they fare in the winter Va air.

Thanks

Oops, forgot to put in this link.
http://www.workwear-usa.com/category/156

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
There's nothing wrong with Dickies. I have the Dickies insulated full coveralls at work that I use when were have snow removal detail. As far as waterproofing, I spray them with Scotch Guard fabric waterproofer. Works great. Check for them on E-bay. Also if you have any Army/Navy surplus stores in your area they'd probably have them. Home Depot also carries them in their contractors section.

Catman.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Thrifty, I got a pair of th Dickies, part #DKS-2639, last yr for christmas. They work great for me for th pier or just doing winter yard work. Only complaint is being sorta height challenged with a beer gut :rolleyes: th size to cover my gut, th legs are about 2" to long.But once I got over th shuffling sound when I walk no big deal.:)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Hey TA
Check this past Sunday's Ads in the VA Pilot. I thought I saw a sale at Dicks on Carharts. Could be wrong but worth a shot. I'm thinking about picking up a pair for outdoor house work this winter.
Brrrrrrr. Stay warm.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There's an Army/Navy store across the street from my son's school. Home depot isn't that far away either. I'll take a look this week. Buying local and not by mail order is good. I can take em back if the fit isn't right and make a quick exchange. No long waiting with the delivery service. Especially this time of the year.:eek: Thanks again catman.

Uh Cdog.....I know what you mean about that front heavy thing. :D..... Probably why I will opt for the bib type. Don't know if I'll have a choice in inseam lengths if I buy local. Either way, there is the online option where all heights are taken into consideration. Including my 5'3" frame. The 29" inseam seems about right for me. Thanks for the heads up on the shuffling sound possibility. Definitely wouldn't blend in well with my squeeky athletic sneakers. Will have to replace them. Sometimes it's best to be seen and not heard. Don't want to be that "pin drop" that gets everyone's attention on an otherwise quiet pier. :eek:

C2H&G......do we have a Dick's Sporting Goods local? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Geeze......what was I thinking. Had the new Bass Pro on the peninsula on the brain. Completely forgot about the recently opened Dicks at Lynnhaven.

Thanks C2H&G.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts