Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any inshore charter boats (probably slightly bigger ones) that will do snapper trips out of gulf shores or fort morgan? Last year we were able to find an inshore charter that let us fish for snapper for about 45 mins (about 8 miles offshore) until we limited out, and then troll around the rigs for another hour and then head back in with some trolling along the way. about a 4 hour trip for $450. (what happened was we were going to do an inshore trip for specs and reds and the like and there had been so much flooding previously that the bay wasn't producing. The captain decided to take us out for snapper because he knew we were going to get blanked in the bay, and he was right)

The issue I'm running into is that all the true offshore boats want 5 hour minimums for snapper trips and charge $900-1,000. This isn't a post to say I don't think they deserve to make that. I know how expensive it is to run a boat and I know the margins can be thin. I'm just wondering if there is an inshore charter that is willing to make a quick run out to a honey hole, limit out on snapper in an hour or less (with the understanding that you might get blanked and the captain doesn't have to sit out there for 3 hours while you try to catch a fish), then troll for an hour and then head back in to the marina, for a 4 hour overall trip. My brother in law is bringing his wife and 10 year old son, so a 5+ hour trip won't really work for them and financially it's probably too steep for all of us anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts