Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to pick you guys brains on inshore rods for jigging, plugs...etc..
I have a Fenwick 7" inshore and what do you guys prefer? :fishing:

·
Registered
112 Posts
For jigging gotchas from piers I use a 6'0 Shimano Clarus 8#-14# line 1/4-3/4 oz lure. with a Shimano Symetre reel loaded with I think 15# or 20# braid. REALLY light rod and reel and I think that with the braid it really makes a gotcha jump. I like it because I can jig most of the day and I dont get tired and on top of that you I caught a few spanish on it this year over 20"s and it was a blast!! Too many people use too much rod for this kind of fishing IMO.

p.s. I dont care what anyone thinks about braid around king rigs I king fish every time I step out onto a pier in the summer and have had my anchor line pop from inexperienced people casting over it with braid, mono, everything. So the way I solve this is I dont cast over or too close to other peoples pin rigs.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well down at the LIP I would like to think the casters are alot more expierenced at casting around other rods than on most other piers no offense.

We prefer 40lb or 50lb mono for our anchor rods, that way you get your anchor back allmost every time. Seein how we Drum fish all fall.

If your gonna use braid on anchor rod or fightin rod most of the people down there look down on that stuff for whatever reason, and 9 times outa 10 something is said about it. Which is never postive.

If more people were to pinrig on vb pier you would have to develop a different mindset. Most of the time we lay our anchor rods down when somebody is about to cast and spike up. Most people also try to keep the more inexpierenced casters outa of the spread which is almost impossible some days.

Its inevitable that some one is always gonna tangle or cross over you with their jerk jiggler, hell Ive done it to myself on more than one occasion LOL. Best thing you can do is pay attention and be forgivin, as everybody had to start somewhere from the bottom rig to the king rig most people just want to catch a fish is the bottom line.....

·
Registered
66 Posts
i just got the inshore extreme from bass pro and i love it. 12-20 line and 3/8-2 lures. i love the feel of it. i also use it for bass fishing. they are on sale at bass pro right now for 40 bucks off

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have built and used quite a few inshore rods over the years. However, there is one that really suites my casting style and favorite lure (½ oz. bucktail) and is my first choice for plugging situations. It is a Cabela’s 7’6” musky blank rated at 3/8 to 1.5 ozs casting wt. and 12-20 lb. line. The rod was built with cork grips (13” rear, 4” fore), trigger seat and fuji SIC’s. Musky rods are stout in the butt and mid section and lend themselves well to the stronger saltwater fish, yet surprisingly light in the hand. The rod is topped with a Shimano Calcutta 250 loaded with 12# line, which mates very well with the rod. The outfit is very light and a pleasure to hold, even after long extended casting sessions.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have built and used quite a few inshore rods over the years. However, there is one that really suites my casting style and favorite lure (½ oz. bucktail) and is my first choice for plugging situations. It is a Cabela’s 7’6” musky blank rated at 3/8 to 1.5 ozs casting wt. and 12-20 lb. line. The rod was built with cork grips (13” rear, 4” fore), trigger seat and fuji SIC’s. Musky rods are stout in the butt and mid section and lend themselves well to the stronger saltwater fish, yet surprisingly light in the hand. The rod is topped with a Shimano Calcutta 250 loaded with 12# line, which mates very well with the rod. The outfit is very light and a pleasure to hold, even after long extended casting sessions.
That was my first build and I love it. It has a Tica caimen 150 loaded with 50# PP for jigging....I love the rod, I feel everything I need and it can handle just about anything..

·
Registered
317 Posts
I just had a look at the tsunami airwaves and the Tica Dolphins and TC2s They are pretty sweet rods. I am ging to get one here soon. They are all 3 ultra light good price (55-150) bucks depending on the length. They are a"surf rod" but I like thehandle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.