Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was fishing at north beach pier from 11pm till 3am pulled up 15 blues. As i was packing up a local walk up to me and ask me if i wanted some strippers...i mean striper, i said hell yes, she said there are a million of them underneath the bridge right down by the marina, so i went down there within 15 mins my friend and I caught our limits of 4 massive striper. We were using rapala crank baits, so if anyone want striper go to the marina in north beach right underneath the bridge.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Between the Hours of 0000 and 0500 You can not have on you or in a cooler while fishing a Striped Bass. That is Midnight to 5 am. It is against the Law to do so. Just FYI!!!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have never kept a striper caught after midnight but I usually only bring one big cooler and what if I catch one before midnight but fish till 3 am- do I just leave it in the cooler- Its a dilemma that I am sure I will face pretty soon here

·
Registered
625 Posts
I have never kept a striper caught after midnight but I usually only bring one big cooler and what if I catch one before midnight but fish till 3 am- do I just leave it in the cooler- Its a dilemma that I am sure I will face pretty soon here
you probably need to take it back to your car. if DNR checks, they wont know if you caught it at 11pm or 1am. The law is that you can't have them in possesion after midnight.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
you cant even have it in your car....

you catch a bass at 11pm, you gotta go home at 12am.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
look, there are rules for a reason. so we can all catch fish and so our childrens children can catch them too..

why cant we just follow the rules instead of trying to find stupid loop holes??

keep 2 rockfish from 5am-12am and them go home. you want to continue fishing after midnight for other fish, dont keep the rockfish. it's simple.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Now come on let's be real... I don't know many people who will leave (let's say Kent Narrows) at 11:59pm because they have a rockfish. I agree you shouldnt keep any after 12am, but let's be realistic... That's just another way DNR can stick it in you if they feel like it. If the state of MD are so concerned about the Stripers they need to go after the PROFESSIONAL Fisherman.. I can't tell you how many times I see 15-17inch fish for sale..

look, there are rules for a reason. so we can all catch fish and so our childrens children can catch them too..

why cant we just follow the rules instead of trying to find stupid loop holes??

keep 2 rockfish from 5am-12am and them go home. you want to continue fishing after midnight for other fish, dont keep the rockfish. it's simple.

·
Registered
625 Posts
that law is stupid cause for the people that drive 2-3hrs to a fishing location, then catch a rockfish before 12am, and have to stop fishing makes no sense to me. i'm sorry but if im going to drive down to, for example PLO, which takes me about 2hrs, get there at 7pm, no way in hell am i going to drive back cause i have a rockfish in possesion. ill put in my car and if catch more after 12, ill just release them. i'm not one to break laws, at least when it comes to fishing, but i think this one is retarted.

·
Registered
568 Posts
i actually asked a dnr officer why the stripers need to be released after 12, he said that because during that time is when the stripers feed, and if everyone would keep them then they would go endangered. md bay area i presume.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the law might be "stupid" for some and there might be a lot of interpretations regarding that specific law. if you want that law to be changed then write to your lawmakers, dnr, or whoever. you might have caught a striper before 12 midnight and then dnr checks on you at 1am. it's your word against the law that you caught it before midnight, but the fact that you have it and the law stipulates "no possession of rockfish from 0000H to 0500H", then you're in trouble. there are no if's and but's to that specific law.it's direct and straightforward.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts