Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody else going to be there? I am heading down Friday and coming back Tuesday. Catch a couple Togs and a blue or two and maybe even that 30" striper.

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sandcrab,

Along those lines do you ever place a inline sinker say 24" or so in front of a bucktail?

Figure in the current it couldn't hurt.

BTW I also like using Zoom Super Flukes in Alewife and Bubble gum. Work great if you keep the blues from chopping them.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The inline sinker is the way to go. Billr showed Sandcrab and I how to fish it. Throw the bucktail with the work (white, bubblegum, etc) out into the current at the beginning and let the current take your sinker. When it gets to the end of the current, reel it in.

I have yet to do it, but Billr seemed to really know IRI.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'll be around the inlet Friday night through Monday afternoon. I already advised the wife that I will be fishing most of the night regardless of rain.
I'll be at the South end of 3Rs or at the North side of the inlet. If anyone is going to fish the surf in that vacinity, let me know and we can hook up.
I'll be the guy with the burgundy Expedition with the Yankees hat.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well if nothing else the weather will be interesting especially on Friday night :(

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
940 AM EDT WED MAY 21 2003

SANDY HOOK NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE TO 20 NM OFFSHORE AND DELAWARE
BAY

ANZ452>455-212100-
COASTAL WATERS FROM LITTLE EGG INLET NJ TO FENWICK ISLAND DE OUT 20
NM-
940 AM EDT WED MAY 21 2003

THIS AFTERNOON
S WINDS LESS THAN 10 KT...BECOMING NE SEAS 2 TO 4
FT. SHOWERS LIKELY.

TONIGHT
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 3 FT. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

THU
NE WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

THU NIGHT
NE WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS 2 TO 4 FT. A CHANCE OF
SHOWERS.

FRI
E WINDS 15 TO 20 KT...INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 KT IN THE
AFTERNOON. SEAS 3 TO 5 FT. A CHANCE OF SHOWERS.

FRI NIGHT
E WINDS 20 TO 30 KT BECOMING S 20 TO 30 KT. SEAS 6 TO 9
FT. RAIN LIKELY AND AREAS OF FOG WITH VSBY BELOW 2 NM.

SAT
WINDS BECOMING SW 10 TO 15 KT BY AFTERNOON. SEAS 6 TO 9 FT.
RAIN LIKELY AND AREAS OF FOG WITH VSBY BELOW 2 NM.

SUN
SW WINDS 10 TO 15 KT. SEAS DECREASING TO 2 TO 4 FT. A CHANCE
OF SHOWERS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi everyone! I am new to this forum and I find it very informative thanks to you all. I was wondering how much weight you use for the inline sinker with the bucktail? Also what size bucktail are you throwing?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yikes, that's windy. 30 knots is 34.5 miles per hour. I better buy some 8 ounce weights~! Heck, fishing in that wind is still better than sitting home watching the computer and talking about fishing.
See you out there~

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SharkHunter,

I will be there either way. Will be driving a Green/Gold GMC Safari Van. Probably won't be wearing my Braves hat (need to keep it clean :)) but will be wearing a tan baseball hat with a black horseshoe and the outline of the state of WV on the front of it.

Will be fishing mostly the inlet who knows
which side depends on the campers but probably the North from tip of railing to the CG Station.

BTW, there is some sort of open house at the CG station on Saturday.

Hope to see you there,

Dave

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FSH-N-HNT,

I would say 1/2 oz. bucktail with 1oz. inline but I could be wrong. I use 1/2 oz jigheads as well and they work fine especially during the slack tide.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I try to keep the total weight of the bucktail and the inline sinker to around 2 oz as that is my rods limitation. I normally use a 1-1/2 oz inline sinker and a 1/2 bucktail/worm trailer. I have seen others use 2 oz sinkers and 1/2 ounce or less bucktails. The lighter the bucktail, the higher up in the water column it will ride. Trailers colors can be white, yellow, black, pink, or any other color.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
littlefry,

IRI or Indian River Inlet is the DE inlet. May even take the children down to Shantytown Pier in OC where the fishing has been very good of late. One thing for sure I will be at IRI early every morn :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Oldsalt,

9 ft seas and I am thinking of staying out of the inlet during the tide change :)

On second thought maybe I will bring the video camera :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts