Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From somewhere in the IO
Today caught 6 small tuna looking fish,yellow tail and silver with the tuna shape, might have been bonito of some kind. Also a croaker looking thing w. horizontal stripes. Then a small 12-18 in.barracuda. Caught the tuna things on a speck rig and the croaker and the barracuda on cut bait. Maybe more tommorow. BTW it's 90 F here and no snow.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
If you can send some pictures of the fish you catch in the IO,I think all of us here would like to see them,it will be along time before we can catch anything to talk about, at least someone is! I would guess that the reason your in the IO is that your in the military.If so I hope you will come home soon and safe,I know how it is being away from home. :confused:

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Skunked,

Nice to see a fishing report from so far away.

Barracuda - Caught hundreds of them when I was stationed in San Diego and on my deployments in the Pacific Ocean. If you have a Krocadyle spoon, or any spoon or shiny lure, you will clean up.

I had a guy onboard the ship trying to catch fish one day and wasn't doing well. He did not have any shiny lures in his box to tempt the barracuda, bonito, or tuna. I took a potato chip bag that had a foil inside and cut it into long 6" strips. I put it on his hook and told him to cast it out and retrieve it in long, quick, darts. Bingo! Barracuda on every cast. :eek:

Glad to see that I'm not the only sailor/mariner who brings their fishing equipment with them when they go to sea. :)

At least you are fishing... ;)

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
If you need a spoon for tuna, bones, or cudas...You could always modify an old spoon (eating spoon) by cutting off the handle and drilling holes (one on top one on bottom for for the hooks). A little Brasso should make it shine enough to catch bigger fish.....

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was told the little tuna like ones were bonito. Tried to look it up but the only book I found was in Dutch (!) but I did find the croaker looking thing on the web and it turned out to be a sweetlips and the 'cuda was, well a 'cuda. I actually caught him at night on bait, started to bring it in to check and WAM he had it. Must have been hiding under the ship and when I moved the bait....
BTW I have tried making the spoon thing, I used the handle off a dinner knife or tried to, I couldn't get a hole drilled thrugh the damned thing! Trust the Navy to save on the important things and but indutructable table knives!
And I bring my rods on every trip, don't often really get to use them..some of the places I have pulled in you don't WANT to put a line in the water.

·
Registered
4,675 Posts
Try using a regular nail and a hammer to make a hole in the spoon...lay the spoon on a piece of wood, put the nail on the spoon, and let it rip!

Cigarette ashes works great for putting a shine on metal lures. ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Cool, let me tell you about fishing the Indian Ocean. First of all, it's crawling with all kinds of fish. Problem is, you get to find out what they are ! Say Hi!, to my friends on Diego Garcia, and Kawajelian Isl.. But if you get close to any reefs, be sure to throw out a line with some squid or cut bait on it, and if you catch a small Thresher Shark, clean it just like a catfish(Except for cutting the skin off with a fillet knife), and put it on the grill, Yum, Yum ! I caught one of these in the Red Sea, and they are excellent ! :eek:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Skunked, Have you fished anywhere near Bahrain? Im in the Air Force and did a short TDY there last year. Went into town and bargained me an El Cheapo little fishing rod and reel. Went fishing off the beach at Shak Iza air base. Caught a few needle fish and a small fish that looked like a bluefish with three medium sized reflective circles on its side. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.