Pier and Surf Forum banner

Indecision

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  Benji 
#1 ·
Cant decide between Black Hole Suzuki 10' (1/2-2), or St. Croix Avid 8' (1/2-2). The cost is similar. The rod will basically be used for pompano. Which one and why. Thx., Joe.

#3 ·
As a commercial pomp fisherman who fishes from the surf alot. Why 1/2 to 2 oz ? Imo a 3 to 6 oz might better serve your needs. It would be rare occasions that a 2 oz pyramid would hold ,especially if fishing east coast. BTW my best rack of rods are 12 to 13 ft and built to throw 5 or 6 oz. Yes I started with 7 to 8 ft rods but would find the more distance equals more pomps in many circumstances.

#4 ·
RWFishead:
I like to fish light. I will be using jigs from 1/4-3/4, and can't do that with the long poles. Also don't want to be throwing 4-6+ weight. Lastly, I'm 76+ and don't know if I could handle 12-13' poles. I realize I will be giving up distance, but I won't have the BIG ONE on the beach. LOL. It's strictly recreational. THX. Joe.

#5 ·
Under an ounce? That's ultra light and realistic distance ain't gonna happen even with uber light braid for yer main line. Light long rods will be your distance reaching friend - let the rod do the work, not you. It will take less casting effort with a proper and efficient 10-12 foot rod. Likewise, up the payload range for 1-3ozs. It will always come down to casting technique.

#8 ·
I totally agree with BeachBob, you definitely need a longer rod!
I will have to admit, I’m a little surprised lol that he did not steer you towards the salmon/steelhead rods as he did for me, he’s also in the middle of a million different projects at all times, so may have just slipped his mind!
I use to plug with 7’6 foot rod basically the same jig wt. your using, just a different area that’s all lol!
So at his recommendation to switch over to one of these types, I went over to bass pro and got the 8‘6“ fish eagle just to use for an experiment!
I am also using Abu 5500 reel with braid as well.
The difference was night and day, by switching to a longer more moderate rod. Easily picked up 20 yards without trying. And I will admit, I am a fast action rod type of guy, and had to get used to the rod doing the work for me, instead of me doing all the work!
No doubt, in my mind that it made it less taxing on me and enjoyable, that’s for sure!
I also now fish with another guy that uses a 10 ft S/S rod so he can throw 1/4 oz jigs way out on the flats in the back bays over here for Striper, fluke and weaks!
He throws that quarter ounce right past my half ounce like it’s nothing with that 10 footer, it annoys the crap out of me too LMAO!
So I would ask BeachBob, or there has to be others using this technique as well!
If you watch tournament casters, throwing super light weights, they aren’t using short rods. They’re using very moderate, long rods with super light lines, it’s the only way to achieve long distance with light weights!

EA

#11 ·
Salmon/steelhead rods are long @ typically 8-9ft and slender, throwing payloads of 1/2-1oz. They're what I consider the lightest tackle in the surf, plugging for schoolie stripers, blues, fluke, kings, etc. I would imagine this tackle - the salmon/steelhead rod plus a 4000 spinner or 5500 revolver - would be fine for pompano off the shore. However, hooking up with a larger fishie will test yer fishing prowess as well as that light tackle. Better to have a longer rod in the 10-12ft range (12ft would be best) rated for 1-3oz, with a relatively fast tip action, coupled with a proper reel and line.

#12 ·
BeachBob, I'm confused (not hard to do). My original post listed two rods. One was 8', the other was 10', both had the same rating 1/2-2. Both of those fall into the salmon rod classifications. So, why keep saying I should look into a salmon rod?

#13 ·
Read the last two sentences in my previous post ....

However, hooking up with a larger fishie will test yer fishing prowess as well as that light tackle.

Better to have a longer rod in the 10-12ft range (12ft would be best) rated for 1-3oz, with a relatively fast tip action, coupled with a proper reel and line.

#16 ·
So worth it though, I've never used anything else like one. I have a 7'6" demon that I've used to jig tautog and sheepshead with, while not recommended, that's the type power those rods have. Slings Paul Brown's and mirolures a friggin mile too for trout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.