Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,
i've been doing a lot of research here lately on rockfishing in the surf. i've caught a fair number from a boat before and i'd really like to get one from the OBX surf.
i understand that there are subtle differences between drummin' and rockfishin'. i've got a few of questions that hopefully some of the more experienced can answer.
1. what is the preferred water temp and wind direction for pushing rockfish on the beach.
2. is it wise to fish the same beach structures you would normally fish for drum?
3. should i drive the beaches looking for birds during the day or is it better to setup shop on a spot and soak bait until they swim by?
4. i haven't a clue what the bait situation is like during december on the OBX, so should i get my bait in VA before i get on 12 south?

thanks

·
Registered
282 Posts
On the red drum tackle website on the public forum they have a post called striper basics should answer most of those questions for you

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Yo, DB. Can you send me the link.

I can't find it on their board.

And I'd like to read it for chits and giggles.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
hey guys,
i've been doing a lot of research here lately on rockfishing in the surf. i've caught a fair number from a boat before and i'd really like to get one from the OBX surf.
i understand that there are subtle differences between drummin' and rockfishin'. i've got a few of questions that hopefully some of the more experienced can answer.
1. what is the preferred water temp and wind direction for pushing rockfish on the beach.
2. is it wise to fish the same beach structures you would normally fish for drum?
3. should i drive the beaches looking for birds during the day or is it better to setup shop on a spot and soak bait until they swim by?
4. i haven't a clue what the bait situation is like during december on the OBX, so should i get my bait in VA before i get on 12 south?

thanks
1. Striper like cooler water, book says 55-65, I have found below 60 down to upper 40's is the range I typically catch em. Wind, most will say NE, but I like a NW, I think anything N is generally good.
2. That's what I do.
3. Good question, if ya hear the boats are getting em close to the beach, do the drive, soak bait, do the drive. Sometimes ya zig when ya shoulda zagged.
4. Bait can definetly be scarce. If ya can get bait in Va do so, but don't forget to patronize the tackle shops down there too.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yes. Some even do the switch from J hooks to C hooks for the stripers. If you can get bait get more then you think you will need. I use the same rigs as for drum. Just bring warm cloths.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm still looking for my first striper! Haven't gotten to the beach this year , maybe we can catch up and do some fishing together. PM me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts