Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Thrify,

I went out earlier this year in the early summer on the Bobbie Lee out of Rudee. It took a good solid 2 1/2 hours to get out there and the same on the way back. Caught a bunch of Sea Bass (19 keepers) between two os us and about the same thrown back to get bigger. However, it was the first time they ever fished that particular wreck this year and I really don't know what's left out there.

Went out on the First Chance (Lynnhaven) Striper fishing at the beginning of this month and the mate had been out all day on a trip and said they caught a decent amount of Sea Bass, a few Big Blue's and two or three 8# Flounder. I asked about the boat ride and he said a good 2 1/2 hours out and the same back also. Not sure again what could be left out there, you might want to go down to the docks when they are coming back in and see what's in them coolers coming off the boat.

I know it can be really good or a long boat ride for the day!

Dixie

Good Luck if you go :D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good Dixie

That'll still leave arond 7 hours fishing time. Am interested in tog and seabass. At 80 bucks a pop, I would like to have the chance to get a look into some coolers. Only thing is it's an all day trip. The boats are going out at 7am and not coming in til 7pm. I'll be on the first boats out.

One more question........On the wreck trips, once the boats stop about how often do they move? Or do they just stay on that one wreck the entire time? I have only done the close in head boat type fishing. Never been out far.........well except that time I cruised on the aircraft carrier. While everyone was touring and chatting......I was on top deck wishing I had brought along a fishing rod. :D

Thanks again Dixie. And congrats on the upcoming arrival.:cool:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Depends on where they go.

Last time I went out of Rudee was this spring. The full day trips usually run about 20-30 miles out, which takes a couple of hours. However, that can vary since the captain runs around looking for fish.

Piece of advice: bring your own bait. While the squid they supply is fine, some cut bait or even a handful of salted silversides that you castnet will allow you to outperform.

And put your cash into the pool. I did it last time and paid for my trip with my winning seabass.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sandflea

thanks for the tips. What's the cutbait of preference for keeper size sea bass? How large should the pieces be?

Thanks

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I really like salted silversides, which you can castnet a day or two before and toss a handful of kosher salt on them before putting them in the fridge.

Otherwise you can use about any salted cutbait (salt toughens baits up and extracts the water). Mullet, spot, pretty much anything.

Here's the thing. Look at it from the perspective of the seabass. You're sitting inside the wreck, happily waiting for something to come by. All of a sudden, 40 or 50 pieces of squid plummet from the sky. You've seen this every day for years.

Then suddenly, a tasty morsel you've never seen drops down. You grab it, and you've just sacrificed yourself to Thrifty winning the pot :cool:.

Be experimental out there. Use some of their squid, use some cut bait (did I mention butterfish?), use some salted silversides. You'll have a good time. I just hope they go out far, because most of the inshore wrecks are fished to death.

·
Registered
634 Posts
yup..get into the pool..i had the biggest striper on tonights sally-t trip and i didnt join the pool:mad:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Kajun: That sucks. I have a picture of me from the early 80's (I was a little one) with the winning fish off the Rudee boats.

Unfortunately, my family didn't believe in "gambling" and I lost the pot, even though I had the largest fish by a mile. Man, I was pissed.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Thrifty good luck to ya, ya might wanna check th Seasickness thread if ya haven't already seen it. Usally I'm alright on inshore trips but I always take something if I think I can't see land. :)

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope you're not talking about the infamous "way back yonder" episode I had

Do I dare click that link? Gotta think about that one.

Anyway, I have a lot of goodies added to my arsenal of preventive measures. Even have some potent stuff from my ENT from a vertigo episode. That along with the allergy pill should do the trick.

Here's hoping!:D

Thanks for the link...........I think!:eek:

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Here's the split screen from 20 year ago and last spring.

First time I missed the pot, second time I got it. They were both taken on the same porch at my grandmother's house.

Funny thing is, I look like a dork in both. :p

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sandflea.................Your looks

haven't changed a bit.:rolleyes: Don't fret. Uh........that wouldn't be your grandpops in the pic, would it? If it is, I have a feeling your looks will be changing a bit in the future. j/k

I can talk. They called me Little Fish when I was growing up. That along with that Archies character. Catholic school was brutal.:mad:

I love your filing system. Quick access and quick retrieval. Now that's organization.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thrifty, I took the Bobbe Lee out for an all day trip on a Sunday late last month. We went on a real calm day and the fishing was as good as I've seen lately. The boat took 2 1/2 hours to get out there, but it was worth it. From 8am to 5pm for $50. My buddy and I caught 40 some odd sea bass, two 5lbers,several four pounders. One fellow on the boat caught an 18lb bluefish, another caught a nice amberjack, and another caught a nice 5lb flounder. They do move around a lot, but what the heck you still get a lot of fishing. I was tired from reeling them in, people were catching 2 and sometimes three at a time. Shrimp works good as an add on to the provided squid. Like the others said, be experimental with the bait, you're liable to catch anything out there. Best of luck....Onion

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks onion

Can you give me some insight on the boats? Are they slow/fast.......loud/quiet? Do they have a strong diesel fume smell? If I get a preference, which part of the boat should I take? Or do the folks rotate while out there?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I wouldn't ordinarily ask those questions, but........

I got that "linked" reminder of a previous misadventure in charter boat angling.;)

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Thrifty,

If it's crowded, I usually head for the very front or very back, seem to get caught less by others in those spots. It's easier to adjust to what ever way the current is moving at the time also. When you are on the side your line either goes out or under the boat with the current. That's when the first timers start catching you instead of fish. Hopefully it won't be elbow to elbow like my trip!

Never had a problem with the diesel smell, but I guess now and then it could be an issue?

I agree with the others on bait. Bring a smorgasboard of everything. Had the best luck on shrimp when I went, and wished I had brought some more kinds of bait.

Send some pic's if Ya go!

Dixie:D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
When it comes to bait for sea bass, I have found that it doesn't matter too much when they are feeding aggressively. If there are a lot of small ones being caught, try using more bait on the hook. Last time I was went wreck fishing for sea bass, I was using a large lead head with an 8 inch plastic worm. I wasn't getting as many hits as bait, but I was constantly getting nicer fish. Next time I will try soaking some 8 inch plastic worms in shedder oil before I go on a boat. If the boat you are going on are targeting tog as well, then bring green crabs or sand fleas since many boats don't provide them. The problem is that sometimes the sea bass is so thick that the tog baits never make it to the tog. Hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts