Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so yesterday i was at the baitshop looking at some rods. I came across this rod that was very very light( felt like an ultra light) turned out it was heavy action and rated up to 40 lbs. I guess it is the new im 6 graphite blanks. I wanted to know if anyone has used them because im not sure if i would feel comfortable with it?

·
Registered
541 Posts
IM6 graphite rods have been around for a long time (at least 15-20 years for freshwater bass rods). I got my 1st one about 15 years ago. It's still one of my favorite rod materials for freshwater rods.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but i would like to use this rod for heavy saltwater purposes, and sorry about the new thing i didnt really do my research about it, i figured it was new because i cant tell u how light this rod was haha

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Weight till you get ahold of an IM8 or even an IM10 rod even lighter and more sensitive. Of course the Higher the modulus the more likely it will break and they cost more too.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I use 9' Fenwick HMX Steelhead rods (IM7) for my sea mullet/black drum/pompano set ups. They are ultra light but very strong rods and are outstanding to fish with. I have caught red drum over 35" with these rods no problem. You can throw up to 3-4 oz weights with them and when a fish hits he practically hangs himself because of the rod's fast action. It is the perfect fast action rod with backbone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts