Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting ready to get scarser.. IMHO,think it is a necessary step though,especially if they can get the numbers up like they used to be..

Public Notice

Notice is hereby given that the NC Marine Fisheries Commission Striped Mullet
FMP Advisory Committee will meet on Monday, January 10, 2005 at 6:00 p.m. The
meeting will be held at the North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural
Resources (DENR) Washington Regional Office, 943 Washington Square Mall,
Washington, NC.

The AC will discuss proposed federal regulations concerning the mullet stop net
fishing and bottlenose dolphin interactions. The MFC plans to comment on the
proposed regulations and would like the AC to provide advice.

·
Super Moderator
2,093 Posts
one year many autumns ago 3 of us went into Whalebone lookin for mullet. Bill said he could only sell two per person. We were kinda in shock. He explained they were in heavy demand for the roe. Then said, "I hope they don't figure out how good p***y is...."
we hit the floor.... :D

good article on stop netting for mullets, a little dated and about bogue banks, but pretty informative.
http://www.ncseagrant.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=story&pubid=124&storyid=152

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
Hey DD.........

How ya been Dude, haven't talked in a while :rolleyes:

Right on about the bait, you can never count on it this time a year. And noth'n can bum a trip out worse than spending all your time looking for it. I always try and stock up for the winter if I'm there earlier when it's plentiful, that is when I "could" fish. Don't know if I can even toss the heaver anymore in my shape.

Something some of the guys can try that I had pretty good luck with, was making a brine salty enough that it would'nt freeze the water but the bunker was rock hard in a 15 below zero freezer :cool: Just a thought for some of the guys like me that have a 4 hour drive to get there :rolleyes:

If the weather stays like this those pigs might move up here a bit, which would suit me fine, doing a week in the girlfriends timeshare end of the month. She hasn't used it in three years, and the yearly fees got to be paid for if ya use it or not, so what the hay... I can afford free! I haven't been able to wet a line for 2 and a half years now :( Not going to be a fish'n trip as such, but if I see some birds working from the 15th floor, I'll be ready :)

Guess I'll be selling most of my fish'n and scuba gear this spring, being old and sick bites :mad:

Hope everythings great at the homefront, sounds like you need some time off work bro :D

Wes...

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Never met him,but heard he is a riot. Selling mullet AND fatback at 2.50 a lb ain't making him many friends right now though,I bet.. :D
Bubba,we used to catch cobs in castnet frequently in the fall,now coms can't even seem to get them.. :rolleyes: The rascals come back quick,if they would just lay off the roe mullet for a couple of yrs,IMHO,problem solved..

Wess,we've been getting fatback when the boats can get out for the most part,been a few "dryspells"(more than last yr),but most times folks can find bait. I may try to brine my cobs up that way,IF I can find any to do it to... :rolleyes:

Work,well I [email protected] about it :rolleyes: :D ,but gotta feed the family.Knew what I was getting into when I started down here,so loooong drives and hrs spent are my penalty,and have no regrets. I "sneek" in a day or two here and there,and get the weekends,which is more than most.. :cool:

Wess,I wish you the best.. Sounds like you are putting a possitive note on things though,and making the best out of a situation is what really counts in the long run. :)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Wes ...I've been wondering how you have been doin.Good to hear that positive attitude.That will help more than any pills or opinions etc.Enjoy that condo and make sure ya bring your gear just in case ;) ....the R

1 - 5 of 5 Posts