Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1: I am searching for a 4x4 to surf fish.
I saw a dark blue (looks like dark purple) F150 at a car dealer with factory cap (rod holders in cap)and a pair of receiver pipes up front (like for the cooler/rod baskets). But the drive shaft looks like a large aluminum pipe(special drive shaft???) and twin glass packs. It even had sand in the cup holder, a local surfcaster's truck for sure.
Does anyone know the X-driver, I would like to have some history on the truck since it seems to have been modified. Makes me think other changes may have been done.
2: Would a Tacoma 4door or xCab make a better sand Buggy???
I have a 4hr drive to IRI/3R
3: Is the longer wheelbase of the F150 a possitive or negative thing???
4: Is the 4.6 F150 not OK for sand torque, do I need the 5.4
null

·
Registered
500 Posts
Couldn't tell ya a thing about the truck, but I can tell ya that if you leave 44 psi in your tires you WILL get stuck (see NC board). Make sure you air down before you get in the sand. I have an 88 4.0 cherokee that does really well in the sand, if I am smart about what I am doing. Common sense goes along way on the beach.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a '94 S-10 blazer 4 dr 4x4, and before that a GMC S-15 x cab 4x4. Both work just fine in the sand, but had more room in the truck for stuff. And Shoeless is right, air down. I take mine to 14 psi and don't even use the 4 wheel many times, but sure is nice to know it's there when you need it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have the 99’ 4.6 F150 and it is schhhwwweeeeet! Plenty-o-power in it. All factory stuff, no add-on except a Cherry-bomb. I would like to get a different air intake though. IMHO it makes a great beach buggy, it hasn't been stuck yet. With the cap on the back there is plenty of room for the overnight trips, and it’s the small bed (6’). If i'm not mistaken the larger wheel base is a good thing.

Like the other guys said, airing down is the key. It is the ONE STEP that is overlooked most often, and it really doesn’t matter what you’re driving then.

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMHO.The lighter trucks seem to do better in the sand. I have had 13 4x4's. Small and large. Chevy, Ford, Nissan and Toy's. The latter seemed to do better with the short wheelbase and smaller track.
I will agree on airing down, unless you have 14+" wide tires. They seem to float. Also Shoeless is correct on the common sense!

-Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts