Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been shopping around at stores in my area(BassPro Shops, Gander Mountain, DIck's Sporting Goods, Academy Sports, Walmart) as well as online(BassPro Shops, Tackle Direct, Amazon.com) for a couple of "new" saltwater-fishing rod/reel combo sets. The problem that I seem to be running into is the "inflated" prices of these fishing combos, and I know you can't always get something for nothing, but I am only going to be doing some pier and surf-fishing and maybe some "inshore" fishing and I am not willing to pay $300 for one rod/reel combo to do this, that is completely ridiculous!! So, I have looked at generic and foreign-made brands like Picisfun, Kast King, while their "saltwater" reels have gotten excellent reviews on Amazon.com, and their prices are in between $50-$75, they don't offer any kind of rod/reel combos, so any money that you save on the reel won't matter once you add a $100 rod to one of these reels. So, I have also looked at BassPro Shop's own brand of rod and reel combos under the brand name, "Offshore Angler", their prices seem to be extremely reasonable, but after looking at the "Frigate 8000 Spinning combo" for $108, on their website, I saw quite a lot of reviews and almost everyone said that the reel was a great buy for the money, and worked extremely well against shark, black drum and redfish, but when they had received their combo via UPS/FedEx the rod was almost always missing a guide or had a broken off guide tip and they had warned about this happening in their review on the website. So, I looked up Penn's line of saltwater spinning combos on Amazon.com and the "Battle II" combo had gotten quite a lot of great reviews with the exception that the rods that came with this combo evidently were not "strong" enough and would snap against certain species of fish, plus I do not want to spend $160 for a rod/reel combo! As you can see, I feel like I am "stuck" in my search for some reasonable price fishing tackle, anybody has any suggestions? Any ideas?? Anyone?

·
Registered
150 Posts
For a cheap but reliable combo you can go with the Penn Battle 2 or Daiwa BG reel with an ugly stick rod although you will be happier with a Mojo inshore rod

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buy a 7ft white ugly stik from Walmart. Go on ebay, Facebook marketplace, local pawn shops etc and find a used Daiwa BG30 or 60 in good shape.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate all of the responses so far, kind of figured a lot of fishermen out there don't really give a shit about how much they have to pay in order to buy decent rod/reel combos, I just thought I would give it a try and ask.......and I should have just known better........................thanks.....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, honestly believe you get what you pay for. $300 for a decent combo really isn't that bad.

And for the record I have probably half a dozen Cuban yoyo's here and there . Normally keep one under the seat in the truck. And I have caught just about everything on one, other than pelagics, from flounder to cobia. Catch lots of catfish with one at work from time to time.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wasn't trying to hurt your feelings, honestly believe you get what you pay for. $300 for a decent combo really isn't that bad.

And for the record I have probably half a dozen Cuban yoyo's here and there . Normally keep one under the seat in the truck. And I have caught just about everything on one, other than pelagics, from flounder to cobia. Catch lots of catfish with one at work from time to time.
No, I get it, just sucks that the prices in fishing gear have gone up so high and then you still can be stuck a rod or reel that is a piece of garbage at $200.....but yeah, I know what you mean, you are right!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out your local bait and tackle stores. I've purchased my last two from one. A Penn combo Battle II 8000 w/ penn battle 10' rod $120 And a Diawa BG 5000 and a Tsunami Trophy II $174 Big box is not always the way to go.
Thank you for the suggestion! I will keep my eye out for something like that!

·
Registered
78 Posts
You can get the battle ll and bgs on sale for less then a hundred like every few months but other then that the Penn pursuit comobs are cheaper and decent for the money. Also there are okuma combos that are cheaper and good for the money. Honestly a Walmart combo will catch fish. Or look for a decent combo used in your local market. fishers love to get new gear and sell old gear to upgrade.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
$200-300 is where you start to get decent gear that's gonna last more than a year or two. You don't say what you're fishing for so if you don't fish saltwater often just get a $ 50-75 Ugly Stick and a $75-100 reel and spool it up with mono and go fishing.

Most combo rods are junk, or both reel and rod are junk. When you're getting the rod for $10 more than you could buy the reel for don't expect much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought an Ugly Stick/Shakespeare reel combo at Walmart in 2013 for about $50 and it served me fine for pier and shore fishing and lasted until this past year, and I fish a lot. Recently upgraded the reels to Penn. Pursuit III to go with the seven year old Ugly Sticks and they are all I need for shoreline salt water. Prices have gone up because of the pandemic since more people depend on fishing for outdoor exercise. You don't have to spend a lot to enjoy yourself....and I'm not a novice. I fished sixteen years as a full time charter/commercial fisherman.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nine foot Ugly Stick and a Penn Fierce (6000, in my case). Price is nice and the only real difference between the Fierce and the Battle is the drag washers. For a few bucks you can order those online and switch them out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sounds harsh, but if you run across a yard sale in a seaside community where a recent, unknowing widow (like mine may be some day) has a table of her late husband's Penn Internationals and Torques for $2 each, that's the dream situation.

·
Registered
795 Posts
The Penn Battle II combo is the best deal goin, you basically get the rod free ... runs around 139.95 (sometimes on sale) ..... keep it outta sand and salt water, wash it with fresh water after each use .... and it'll serve you well ....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts