Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I understand th 10# to 1oz for saftey but from a fishing stand point,if you go from 20# test to 80# even with a doubled line you are still going twice th running line streangth.So that would be a major weak spot right? I want to cast farther but whats th point of getting to th fish if your line breaks. Or am I just totally offbase here? :confused:

·
Registered
888 Posts
CDOG
50# shockleader is plenty for 8nbait. 80# is a little overkill unless your arnold swartz, been using 50 for years with no problems. Just my 2 geo

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cdog,

The shock leader serves multiple purposes.
1: It allows you to safely cast larger payloads or use more powerful casting methods safely.
2: It proves a measure of abrasion resistance for fish with bony or spiny appendages, or the good old teeth.
3: It provides a certain level of security when handling larger fish at close quarters. You can lean on #50-#80 line a tad more than #20.

The #10 to every one ounce of casting lead rule is a good one, a few bluefish bites or drags across a shell bed will weaken the line in a hurry.
A couple of big spiny dogfish can ruin 10' or more of shock in a hurry, especially if they roll it around themselves.

Blaine :)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Blaine, i understand th shock but what I am asking is if you go 20# doubled with say a spyder to 50# than you are only going what 10 percent? But if you go 20 doubled to 80# than that is 100 percent increase. So there fore you would be increasing th stress on your shock knot while fighting a fish. Th 40-50 knot would be stronger than th 40-80 knot right?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Cdog,

For fishing, a line doubled with either a Bimini twist or Austrailian braid, then tied correctly to the shock leader, will yeild very nearly 100% strenght at the knot(s).

A single line tied to the shock leader has caused many heartbreaks for many fishing folks.

If you get a good knot in a single line joining a shock leader, it will not last like a doubled line connection will.

I find no difference in getting a good doubled line knot in #50 or #80 shock leader.

Sorry I misunderstood your question.

Blaine :)

Tres' Drum rig

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
The bottom line is that no matter what line strength you use, the shocker/main line knot is going to get banged on the guides during every cast. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts