Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just got a Tidewater heaver rod from walmart. I need to know a good reel that can handle 30 pound big game. Im going to go after big drum with this rod so the reel has to be strong.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
How long is the rod? What type reel - conventional or spinning?

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Does the manufacturer state on the rod that it can handle 30 lb test line? Most 10 rods cannot handle over 20 lb test line. If so, you might want to look into the larger Penn or Daiwa reels. Lots of help on this forum. I have one spinning reel and it is too old to even mention.

·
Registered
862 Posts
My experence with the Penn SS4400 reels has been great. It is smaller than you need but bullet proof. I have had some for three years of regular saltwater use with no breakdowns.

Smooth drag, and reliable.

I would look at the construction of it compared to one that is sized for the line weight that you are looking for.

The Penn web site has exploded views of their reels so that you can compare. Go to . .
http://www.pennreels.com/schematics.php

and check it out.

Oh and one more thing. There are line weights on the spool. . . Do not expect the drag to work well on lines heavier than is written on the spool. No matter how tight I would tighten that 4400 I could not turn that @#[email protected]#[email protected]# spadefish with 20 lb power pro and the line did not break until it wore through on a piling.

Tom

·
Registered
5,771 Posts
Take a look at this Daiwa Reel

Daiwa Emblem-X-T Saltwater Spinning Reel

Gyro Spin™ balancing
Lifetime® bail spring
Switchable silent retrieve with one-touch folding power handle
Long Cast Spool With Stainless Steel Spool Lip
3 Ball Bearings
Centrifugal Line Guard
Worm Gear Oscillation
Drag With 10 Oversized Washers

Huge spool diameter lets line flow freely in larger coils and produces less line memory. Three ball bearings provide the ultimate in smooth operation. Longcast spool features titanium-nitride spool lip. Ten oversize felt and stainless steel drag washers give smooth fish-stopping control. Excellent choice for surf or boat fishing.

EM-X4500T MH ML 3 N FD 5.1 20.5 14/310,17/230,20/180

EM-X5000T H MH 3 N FD 5.1 20.8 17/310,20/240,25/190

EM-X5500T XH H 3 N FD 4.6 22.2 20/290,25/230,30/200

EM-X6000T XXH XH 3 N FD 4.6 22.4 20/320,25/260,30/220

Rick

1 - 9 of 9 Posts