Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for "cast iron frying pan made" corn bread. Does anyone have a recipe that they are willing to share?

BTW: It definitely has to be made from scratch. So, no Jiffy cornbread mix variations please.:rolleyes:

Thanks!

·
Registered
597 Posts
hope this helps:

Traditional Cornbread

4 tablespoons drippings (such as bacon)
2 cups finely ground white cornmeal
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups buttermilk

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put the drippings in a 9-inch cast iron skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and let the drippings heat while you prepare the batter. In a big bowl, mix the cornmeal, salt, and baking soda. Add the egg and buttermilk, and stir until just blended. The drippings should be good and hot, but not smoking, by now. Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and swirl gently to coat it with drippings. Pour the rest of the drippings into the batter. It should crackle and pop. Mix quickly and lightly, just to blend, then pour the batter into the skillet and put it back in the oven. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, until the bread is set in the middle, the edges are browned, and the top crust is golden.

RD

PS this is not my recipe so use away.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks reddog1

A couple of questions on this recipe if I may.......Can I substitute cooking oil or shortening for the bacon drippings? Salted pork products are no longer a part of my diet. What about possibly using turkey bacon? Have you tried any of these as substitutions? If not, which do you suggest will give ok results?

Thanks again for the recipe. I'll try it out tomorrow along with some previously frozen :mad: fish.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Thats a good recipe. But in Ga we use regular cornmeal,2 eggs,and a little black pepper. Some even add some sugar to taste. Serve left-overs crumbled in a bowl of buttermilk...Mmmmm good.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Cruel people

And here I have just started my Sept weight loss and strengthing program. :)

Got to loose a few pounds and get the muscles ( or what is left of them ) in shape for pulling on the drummies and carrying the climbing stand.

Then you post one of my most favorite things.....cornbread.

Oh well, I'll worry about the extra lbs tomorrow. I am going to the store later for fixings. And while I am at it.....I am going to open one of the few remaining packs of striper chunks and deep fry them and cut some coleslaw for supper tonite,

:jawdrop:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Just for kicks, add some whole kernel corn and a touch of hot sauce to the batter before you stick it in the oven. My wife hates it when I add stuff to her moms recipes, but sometimes it comes out good.

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did I do that???????

Fatback thanks for the input. When I use the boxed jiffy mix:rolleyes: I add a bit of sugar to it. My sons like it that way. I haven't tried it with corn yet. Haven't had a chance to try left overs smothered with buttermilk. There's never any leftover cornbread.:mad:

Fish Hunter I feel your pain. You just have to realize it's fishing season. And endulging in cornbread comes along with the territory.

Kenmefish I may add some corn to the next batch. Seems it's a popular ingredient.

Thoroughbred Add honey to the mix? I've never done that either. But the corn idea I will try soon. We eat a lot of canned corn in our house. I don't like the frozen to much. But, I always have Del Monte's whole kernel (no salt added) corn in the cupboards. It's the only brand I buy. Especially when Food Lion has it on sale for 25 Cents per can. I stock up. It tastes much better than the salted canned corn. With all the salt that's in there, it doesn't taste anything like corn to me at all. Now the salt free one, that's tops. I sometimes eat it right out the can. Kinda like cold baked beans. It's just that good.

I have been busy all day hanging blinds and curtains in the sunroom. I've had a long, long day of ladder climbing. Cornbread and fish won't make it to the dinner table today. Looks like take out is in order. Tomorrow.......it's fish, cornbread and potato salad.

Thanks for the tips guys.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thrifty

One of my favorite meals is fish, fried taters, coleslaw, and cornbread. When we have that meal we wonder what the rich folks are eating. Whatever they are eating, it could not be as good. mmmmgood!:) :)

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hear you Kenmefish

We pass on the coleslaw here. No one favors it. Now my potato salad.............that's a winner. Thanks goodness I like to cook. Otherwise it would be fried fish and sliced sandwich bread as a chaser. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
heres one from my fav cajun cookbook

1 cup yellow corn meal
1 cup white cornmeal
1 cup flour
2 eggs
1/4 sugar
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
8 teaspoons baking power
2 teaspoons shortening

mix all ingredients in a large bowl. beat 1 minute. grease a 12 inch wrought iron skillet or a 13 inch pyrex dish with oil. pour mixture in pan and bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
about your recipe Kajun

So where is the kicker to this. It is cajun...right? No crushed red peppers or other potent ingredient?

Thanks for the recipe. A blend of cornmeals and flour. And all that baking powder. I hope I can remove "Mt Everest" from the oven at the end of the bake time.:jawdrop:

Thanks again Kajun.

·
Registered
634 Posts
lol i dont think you can make cornbread into a cajun dish, unless you put some crawfish in it:).....i've never cooked cornbread before, just seen that one in there and it looked like a good scratch recipe...if you try it out let me know how it came out.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.